News Feed Discussions Recurring pain post op surgery

• Recurring pain post op surgery

Posted by mulligan22 on June 29, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Had laparoscopic hernia surgery on May 5. Surgeon is board certified and does this kind of surgery regularly. He instructed I take it easy for six weeks post surgery, no lifting or other exercise, just rest. I followed this and had daily decreasing pain issues. By 6 weeks I was virtually pain free and felt good. So after the 6 weeks I then went out and played some golf. During the second time I played I began experiencing a tightness and pulling feeling in the surgery area. After the round the pain stayed with me. I stopped all activities again. Now I have daily pain off and on. Not the doubling over pain but it’s pinches and stabs and sometimes a dull pain. I can walk around pretty well but sitting in one position for hours can cause some issues. It’s doesn’t seem to be getting better or worse a week after I stopped all activities.

Next week I go back in to see my surgeon again about this. I am concerned as to what happened and where I go from here. I’ve heard this can be a scar tissue issue but I have no idea what that might mean either. I’d appreciate any information that may help.

tredzign replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tredzign

June 2, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Just curious when you stay to do some stretching what stretches are good to do? I have had Inguinal hernia surgery and want to stretch but also don’t want to make things worse. ( I have mesh and am 4 and half weeks after surgery)

Thanks

• drtowfigh

July 4, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Most likely there is no issue with your hernia repair. You may be feeling a pulling or strain on the repair itself. That may take weeks to settle down. I sometimes refer to it as a sheering effect of the mesh along the muscle.

It is rare to have a hernia recurrence, especially early and after a laparoscopic repair. That said, you may not know if there is a hernia recurrence for many more weeks.

I would stretch out the area, use ice, and stop golfing again until your pain cycle has reduced.