News Feed Discussions Removal Umbilical Mesh Pls help me

• Removal Umbilical Mesh Pls help me

Posted by Cortz on October 24, 2018 at 2:35 am

Hi everyone. I’m 34 years old and during my 4th pregnancy I developed a 1 cm umbilical hernia. I had an open repair with a 4.3 cm Ventralex Patch about 3 weeks ago (4/10/18) I am thus far healing normally as far as I can tell.

I was not informed before the procedure what the risks of mesh are. After researching possible effects I have become so distressed that I have had to become medicated for anxiety (something I have never had/done before) I cannot understand how a piece of plastic is not going to dissolve/degrade/leach in my lifetime and would love to get this mesh out and have a natural tissue repair done. I have also just been told about a Doctor in Sydney (I’m in Australia) that he has found conclusive evidence that mesh causes auto immune diseases, and is going to be presenting his findings.

Will getting it out earlier increase my chances of a successful outcome? If you could go to anyone in the world (I’m not rich but I’m mortgaging my house) who would you go to? I have been in contact with Dr Tomas office who seems to have had great results for groin mesh removal but I can’t find any feedback about his abdominal removal and the suture technique that he has patented for mesh free repair. He has also said to let it heal for 6 mths before removal-will that not make removal more risky?

Pls help point me in the right direction, my family need their mum back and I have become a different person will all of this stress and feeling like I have a ticking time bomb inside me.

Thank you

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • drtowfigh

May 30, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Permanent sutures are the standard of care for repair of hernias, especially if they are recurrent., ie after a previous repair.

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 6:43 am

Dr Tomas uses internal permanent stitches, not dissolvable like he says. I had permanent inside of me and they made me so sick.

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 6:37 am
    quote dog:

In your post today you asked about Dr. Tomas’ patented suturing. I had surgery on September 7 with Dr. Tomas for a ventral hernia with an umbilical component. The defect was about the size of a dime. If I understood Dr. Tomas correctly, he used 3 layers of suturing. These run up and back creating a vertical mattress. This part of the suturing is not patentable. He has another component to his suturing and that part is what he hopes to patent. As a potential patient I would believe he would disclose this to you. The sutures he used are Ethibond. I was told by an assistant that the repair was tension free.

Wishing you a good recovery. All the best.

Hi kcm Please let us know what Dr. Tomas you are referring to ?

The ethibond sutures are permanent. They will not dissolve. Hopefully you will not react to them like I did.I got very, very sick. I had to have the sutures removed. I was told I would have dissolvable stitches, but they were wrapped so tight around my oblique muscle I was in misery for almost 2 years because could get them out. I never even had a hernia either. Two surgeries for no reason. What a nightmare.

• kcm

November 1, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Dr. Robert Tomas in Fort Meyers, Florida

• dog

October 31, 2018 at 10:50 pm

In your post today you asked about Dr. Tomas’ patented suturing. I had surgery on September 7 with Dr. Tomas for a ventral hernia with an umbilical component. The defect was about the size of a dime. If I understood Dr. Tomas correctly, he used 3 layers of suturing. These run up and back creating a vertical mattress. This part of the suturing is not patentable. He has another component to his suturing and that part is what he hopes to patent. As a potential patient I would believe he would disclose this to you. The sutures he used are Ethibond. I was told by an assistant that the repair was tension free.

Hi kcm Please let us know what Dr. Tomas you are referring to ?

• tenreasy

October 31, 2018 at 9:22 pm

I just had laparoscopic hernia surgery with mesh done about 7 weeks ago. No problems whatsoever. I can understand your concerns. I would recommend that you hold off on removing the mesh unless there is medical reason to do so and it is recommended by a surgeon.

• kcm

October 25, 2018 at 11:43 am

I was told that Ethibond was used to close the defect and they were permanent. When I looked up Ethibond on the internet, I discovered that there are several different types of non-absorbable Ethibond sutures. I am not sure what type of Ethibond was used. The sutures used to close the incision were dissolvable. I do not know the brand name of these absorbable sutures.

• Cortz

October 25, 2018 at 1:39 am

Thanks so much for your replies. When I looked up Ethibond sutures it said they were permanent so I rang and asked the receptionist and she said his are definitely dissolvable? Were yours?

• kcm

October 24, 2018 at 12:48 pm

• Momof4

October 24, 2018 at 4:53 am

Sorry to hear of your situation and the stress it is causing you! Your physician should have discussed the benefits AND risks of mesh with you so you could make a fully informed decision. Luckily, there are way more people that do well with mesh repairs than ones that have problems. You may very well do fine with your repair. The advice to let yourself heal for 6 months sounds like good advice. I think a doctor on this forum recently posted about the length of time not having an impact on removal, if necessary. Waiting 6 months will not be too late for removal. Also, maybe in that time you will heal completely and feel great. That is the hope. This forum is very informative and helpful, but most posts here are about problems and looking for help to find a resolution. I am a patient that has had problems with mesh and removal and don’t wish that on anyone. I would not have the mesh removed if there are no problems and you feel good. Removal itself can cause more problems. Best wishes and positive thoughts!