News Feed Discussions Remove Mesh – autoimmune problem solution

• Remove Mesh – autoimmune problem solution

Posted by brunog on March 10, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Has anyone here improved autoimmune symptoms after removing the screen?

Please would like opinions from only those who had autoimmune / systemic problems

DrBrown replied 3 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • DrBrown

April 23, 2020 at 8:36 am

@momof4
    After mesh removal, it is usually possible to repair any defect with a pure tissue repair. The type of repair will depend on the strength of the tissues. Often a bassini repair is possible.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Momof4

April 21, 2020 at 11:37 pm

@alephy, @brunog I went for a second mesh because I have a collagen disorder that contributes to my recurrent hernias. I have had failed tissue repairs in the past. The original thought was that I was having an “allergic” reaction vs foreign body reaction, thus the implantation of a different material. It seemed like the best option at the time and the decision was not made lightly. Well, turns out I have foreign body reaction and not only an allergy. I was allergy tested with different mesh and suture materials. I had a reaction to polypropelene but not to polyester. My allergist said just because you don’t react on the skin doesn’t mean you won’t react to implant. Turns out he was right. He said he certainly wouldn’t suggest implanting a material that you reacted to on the skin. @drtowfigh acknowledges these allergy skin tests have limitations.

@drbrown thank you for your participation on HerniaTalk Live and for answering my questions! If I end up with another mesh removal, is there a chance for successful tissue repair and which is the best tissue repair for someone with recurrent hernias and possible collagen disorder? Would there be extra restrictions after tissue repair for someone like me? Thank you!

• idoncov

April 4, 2020 at 9:51 pm

“how was the screen removal surgery experience for you? was it open or robotic? Did you have any nerve damage or neurectomy during the surgery?”

My mesh was put in laparoscopically and removed the same way.

The repair was for an umbilical hernia so there was no neurectomy and no nerve damage.

• brunog

April 2, 2020 at 4:54 pm

@idoncov
    @meshagony
    @momof4

how was the screen removal surgery experience for you? was it open or robotic? Did you have any nerve damage or neurectomy during the surgery?

• brunog

April 2, 2020 at 4:50 pm

@momof4 answer here friend, for all of us to see, it is important for everyone, why did you knit again? I couldn’t close without mesh ?

• Momof4

April 2, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Alephy, I sent you a message answering your question!

• Alephy

March 29, 2020 at 10:02 pm

If I may ask,you went again for a mesh because you could not find a Surgeon for a tissue only repair? Or the hernias somehow were too big or complex?

• Momof4

March 29, 2020 at 8:24 pm

I had a very large piece of polypropelene mesh removed and the systemic symptoms I was having resolved almost immediately! The rashes and itching were gone, no more nausea and loss of appetite, weird bruises gone. I did develop a reaction to adhesives with the implantation of the mesh and that still remains. Unfortunately, within 6 months of my mesh removal, I developed multiple new hernias that needed repair. With implantation of a different material, polyester vs polypropelene, some of the old systemic problems returned and I even developed some new ones! This time includes joint pain and swelling in hands and feet. I have tested negative for a specific autoimmune disease but a rheumatologist suggested foreign body reaction was causing my “autoimmune” type symptoms. I hope you can find the help you need. It’s not easy to find someone who Acknowledges or even understands these reactions! A big shout out to Dr. Towfigh for understanding AND acknowledging that these problems exist. Also, for helping to educate others. Thanks!

• meshagony

March 29, 2020 at 1:20 pm

I had my mesh removed 5 months ago. I still have mild autoimmune issues but they have improved. I am a Celiac and I still can’t eat wheat without experiencing some mild symptoms.

• idoncov

March 29, 2020 at 4:21 am

Yes, I have. There is an immediate relief to the pain after the mesh was removed. Your fevers go away at this time as well and there is an increase in energy almost immediately but not to a full extent. But the systemic autoimmune issues remained for me for about 2 years. After the mesh was removed I had heightened reactions to almost all foreign fabrics. Socks, bedsheets, pajamas, you name it had to be changed to all cotton. But as time went on the tolerance came back and no reaction any longer.

Rashes would develop during times of stress. At first it didn’t take much at all. Just a two hour drive in the car would activate itchy rashes. This took a long time to pass, about 2 years. During this time it took more and more stress to bring it on. Now that has completely gone away and things are back to what they had been.

I have a history of shingles. The autoimmune reaction from the mesh cause an activation of shingles that was ongoing during and after the mesh removal. I had to take up to 2.5 grams of acyclovir daily to suppress the virus, an amount that is normally only used for 10 days during an outbreak. This went on for almost 2 years. Now the immune system has normalized and I take the normal small dose I took before the mesh.

The other thing is fatigue. It does not go away with mesh removal. You find yourself dozing off for no reason throughout the day during this period of time. Again, this comes back with time. And with it a desire to eat and enjoy food.

So in my case (I had the mesh in for a year) all of the autoimmune issues did get resolved but it took about 2 years.

Hope this helps.

• DrBrown

March 26, 2020 at 9:09 am

There is a chance that autoimmune disease will improve after the mesh is removed.
    Bill Brown MD

• meshagony

April 16, 2020 at 1:40 pm

My removal surgery was open. I’m sure there is some damage from the amount of mesh removed and all of the stuff attached to it, but I feel great! I do not think I have nerve pain. If there is any, I don’t really notice it because the discomfort is much less than what it was prior to surgery.