News Feed Discussions Repair after mesh removal

• Repair after mesh removal

Posted by Runner123 on June 8, 2019 at 9:45 pm

i’m having mesh removal for an umbilical hernia mesh that was placed laparoscopically using the IPOM technique. My defect is only two cm, i’m thin and do not smoke so i would want a suture/tissue repair. Would it be best to have the new repair done in the same surgery as the removal or would I have to wait a few months after the removal??

Runner123 replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Runner123

June 17, 2019 at 2:57 am

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] reason I ask because of adhesions. I know adhesions will always form at the site of surgery and they are nearly preventable, but since the damage of the peritoneum when removing ipom mesh is the same as an incision, do the adhesions usually form much more dense and severe since it’s a big area of peritoneum being damaged (because of the mesh) rather than a line (incision)?

• drtowfigh

June 16, 2019 at 11:49 pm

I have not.
    Peritoneum regrows.

• Runner123

June 15, 2019 at 9:20 pm

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] in your experience or any that you know of, have you seen any obstructions with the bowel or intestinal problems AFTER removing ipom mesh since it damages the peritoneum? my mesh is pretty large

• drtowfigh

June 15, 2019 at 7:14 pm

All surgery incurs scar tissue.

Same

• Runner123

June 12, 2019 at 6:09 pm

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] is there usually scar tissue left over the defect after ipom mesh is removed?

and when ipom mesh is removed, since the ingrowth is the peritoneum, is the damaging of the peritoneum that is done when removing the mesh, is it the same as an actual incision to the peritoneum (trocar site or open incision)?

• drtowfigh

June 12, 2019 at 4:03 am

No benefit in waiting if there is a hernia left after mesh removal and it can be primarily repaired with suture alone.

• Runner123

June 10, 2019 at 3:16 am

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] Thank you, I sent you a message regarding a few questions since I know you went through removal as

[USER=”1660″]idoncov[/USER] Nope, no recurrence. since it was placed ipom i’m thinking that some scar tissue will still be present? If it does return then I’ll for sure repair it with tissue repair. The defect was not closed tho prior to mesh placement so I don’t know if that will impact wether it comes back or not majorly…

• idoncov

June 10, 2019 at 2:45 am

Has there been a hernia recurrence? If not then the hernia repair that was done when the mesh was inserted may still be effective. In my case there was no hernia and therefore only the mesh was removed.

• Good intentions

June 9, 2019 at 3:25 am

Your mesh removal surgeon would know best. The great irony of mesh removal is that it is not taught in medical school or residency, but mesh implantation is. Mesh removal is a problem that only brave and conscientious surgeons take on. So there is no “best” procedure that has been agreed upon. I think that surgeons who do mesh removal talk to each other, because it is such a difficult and tedious procedure, but not discussed much at the big meetings. You should really ask your surgeon what they plan to do, before surgery.

Good luck. Be aware that the recovery from mesh removal can be slow. The body has been fighting it for as long as it’s been there, and much of that will be undone over time.