News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Repair and removal videos from Dr. Repta

• Repair and removal videos from Dr. Repta

Posted by Good intentions on January 5, 2024 at 3:37 pm

I am still planning for eventual removal of the last small scrap of mesh over/under/tangled-in the remnants of my direct inguinal hernia repair. Even though I have been improving at a fairly constant rate, the irritation in that area is still my limiting factor. After so many cycles of leg movement it gets irritated and I have to take a break. It’s like being on the freeway in a car that can only travel so far before it starts to run poorly.

I have put a plan together to get over to South Korea to the Gibbeum Hospital but I have also been looking at other possibilities in the States. Dr. Repta has several videos on his YouTube page that might be worth watchng for anyone considering removal and/or repair. Still amazing to see what the mesh looks like after it’s been in a body. Nothing at all like before implantation. Folded, shrunken, frayed. Amazing that surgeons who pull it out will still put it in.

I realize that not many people will see this, except the few members who still sign in to see what is happening. The site is essentially invisible to anyone who does not create an account and sign in. No useful information on the front page and the discussions can only be found by searching Google. At least there is that.

https://www.youtube.com/@RemusReptaMD/search?query=hernia

drtowfigh replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

January 8, 2024 at 10:12 pm

I’ve seen patients of Dr Repta. They were all open and mostly abdominal wall, not inguinal patients. He’s helped a lot of patients.

I viewed the videos you mentioned. The 3 layer repair he mentions seems to be a 2 layer repair plus the external oblique aponeurosis closure. It’s unclear what technique he’s using for the repair. It’s not a Shouldice or Bassini. I did not see any opening of the floor, identification of nerves or fascial release. Also, one of the mesh removals was partial and neither of them identified the nerves.

I need to invite him to this forum to help answer some questions 😄

• MarkT

January 5, 2024 at 4:45 pm

I have not watched any of the videos…but does he say anywhere what type of tissue repair he does following removal?

I wonder how many he is doing, given that he appears to be a single-surgeon clinic and offers so many others services.

• Good intentions

January 5, 2024 at 5:01 pm

In the videos he shows that he’s suturing three layers. The first seems to be to a ligament, not sure which one. Somebody that is versed in the various methods might recognize what name it falls under or if it is a variation. The vidoes are pretty short, about 2 – 4 minutes each, but he does spend time on the repair. The removal portion is the typical cauterise and peel method.

His page says that removal and repair takes 1 – 2 hours. He makes a pretty big incision. He seems to be going through the muscle wall, not the canal. Like TREPP but without mesh. I think that Dr. Meyers does his repairs that way. But maybe he only does that for removals. I did not watch any repair only videos. And I am not informed at all about the details of the various possible ways to do removals or repairs. I am probably way off.

He also mentions general anesthesia. So, another possible reason to go to Korea. But, he is close and seems to have a good reputation. Plus he plays some good club music while he’s working.