News Feed Discussions Resiniferatoxin (RTX) for treating chronic groin pain / PHPS?

• Resiniferatoxin (RTX) for treating chronic groin pain / PHPS?

Posted by Chaunce1234 on November 20, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I stumbled into some discussion on Resiniferatoxin which apparently interrupts pain perception, and I am wondering if [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] or other physicians are aware of any usage of resiniferatoxin (or consideration) in the treatment of chronic groin pain, post-hernia pain syndrome, sensitization, and other related chronic pain conditions?

Is something like Resiniferatoxin just another variation of existing nerve targeted therapies, like cryoablation or radiofrequency ablation? Is it expected to be comparable?

Some additional info on the chemical for those who are curious:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5039500/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00804154 (apparently ongoing clinical trial for cancer patients?)

Anyway, could be interesting. Any forward progress in managing and treating pain is good, and obviously applies to many people on these forums.

Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

November 27, 2018 at 11:38 pm
    quote Good intentions:

Sorry, I know that’s not why you posted. I use the forum to collect and amplify my thoughts, and your post coalesced a few. I have not been able to rationally justify what is happening in the hernia repair field. It has all of the hallmarks of a project that started out with promise for true health care but grew uncontrollably because the financial aspects overshadowed the reality of what was happening.

No need to apologize, this forum is for having these discussions!

And I agree with your general sentiment… there would be no chronic pain to treat if there were no chronic pain problem in the first place.

• Good intentions

November 20, 2018 at 10:01 pm

My view, emphasized by my experience after mesh removal, is that chronic pain is signaling chronic damage. I was and still am physically damaged from having the mesh inside me. Many surgeons, apparently, know and accept this damage and have mentally justified it as normal and “how mesh works”. The foreign body inflammation is what causes the tissue “ingrowth” and “incorporation”. I put these terms in quotes because I think that ingrowth is actually individual fiber encapsulation and incorporation means, essentially, becoming one with the body. There is no ingrowth and there is no incorporation. But the terms sound comforting and healthy. Much of what is happening today is because there is too much hope and not enough objective analysis.

I think that the reality of the situation is that the body is constantly trying to encapsulate and isolate the individual polymer fibers, causing an inflammatory response wherever there is mesh. Since many surgeons are on the bandwagon of the more mesh the better, the inflammation problems are increasing in kind, and that’s where much of today’s problem comes from.

In short, we need parallel efforts on understanding and controlling the damage. Pain management’s purpose is to fix the mistake, the inherent flaws of a bad product. It should not really be considered as part of the repair. There is not supposed to be pain.

Sorry, I know that’s not why you posted. I use the forum to collect and amplify my thoughts, and your post coalesced a few. I have not been able to rationally justify what is happening in the hernia repair field. It has all of the hallmarks of a project that started out with promise for true health care but grew uncontrollably because the financial aspects overshadowed the reality of what was happening.