Robotics for mesh removal

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Robotics for mesh removal

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Good intentions
      Participant

Another interesting article. I’m not sure that the results for robotic removal are much different than the results from a normal laparoscopic removal by a skilled surgeon. This paper is more valuable as a report of many mesh removals I think.

An example though, of how a new market opportunity for robotics is shedding light on a problem that exists in a related field. Similar to articles about biologic mesh pointing out problems with synthetic mesh.

It’s only 29 patients, mixed between ventral and inguinal. Brian Jacob is involved. Follow-up is only about a month. Its purpose is to show that robotics can be used for mesh explantation.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00464-021-08835-x

Chuck
      Participant

thanks Good Intentions…having read your account of mesh removal and compared it to AJMs and another named Luke who also went to billings i have to wonder if lap is the best way to go…Luke has no complications at all. and you seem to have fewer than some operated on robotically. That said..it seems like the robot makes the most sense –better robotic arms than chopsticks to remove bubble gum from hair? Is there anyway we could chat by phone sometime…i am getting close to making a removal decision and trying to get as much info as possible…happy to pay you for your time

Chuck
      Participant

hmmm the results of that study are not really that great…only 50 percent improved. and some had to have mesh placed back in. GI–do you have any idea about why mesh may have to be re-placed? Did you intruct billings not to place any mesh back in you no matter what??? I am surprised that your double inguinal hernia has not returned after only 3 yearsn with mesh inside. Curious what your plan is to address recurrant hernias if they happen….would you go to Yunis for shouldice?

Good intentions
      Participant

My mesh problems were very severe. And I continued to work through them, doing lots of physical labor in the third year. And before then, I had been running and working out, trying to “believe” that the mesh would become incorporated and that my body would adapt. So the thickening of the tissue around the mesh was probably substantial, which probably helps avoid recurrence.

With the pandemic still active, I do not know what I would do if I had a recurrence. I might just live with it. If I could manage it, I would probably go to Dr. Kang, because he seems to understand how the abdominal muscles work in great detail and might have better ideas of what to do with the damaged tissues left behind. I think that many hernia surgeons today can identify certain things but I don’t think that they understand the dynamics of their movements. Dr. Meyers at the Vincera Institute is another possibility.

Yes, Dr. Billing and I discussed just removing the mesh, then waiting to see how things progressed. I got the impression that he did not see many recurrences after mesh removal.

I can’t offer any more guidance than what I’m writing. I don’t want to talk anyone in to having mesh removed, I can’t predict the results.

Chuck
      Participant

Thanks GI…very much appreciate your contributions here…you are the dean of the page. Can you tell me what you mesh problems were and how you were sure they were caused by mesh? Daniel beechy from FB will attribute everything under the sun to mesh…losing his teeth…hearing problems…and this is for mesh that was removed over 10 years ago. I want to be sure if i remove it i am doing so for reasons that are clearly related to the mesh. I wonder how we can ever be sure. Its funny you and i researched our butts off on this and still made the wrong decision…trying to avoid doing so again. Kang would have been my first choice for a repair…but wonder if the fact that its korea has washed out many negative reviews like we see for US surgeons…i can tell you that some surgeons have told me they wont do a tissue repair after mesh removal…Robert Tomas for one…i wonder if there will be others….i am 7 months in and hating my bilateral doulbe bard 3d max with a passion…but given your horror stories i am not inclined to remove the mesh

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar