News Feed Discussions Scar Tissue – One year after IH Surgery

• Scar Tissue – One year after IH Surgery

Posted by WasInTN on July 7, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Hi all
    I had IH surgery by Dr. Goodyear in Philly (7/31/14) and everything is fine. No pain, and no IH related issues. All functions are quite normal. However the scar tissue still feels a bit hard around one inch. Unless I press it, I do not even know it is there. But somedays – may be mornings or when I return home in the evening after work (I am in software and sit nearly 7 hours in chair) – it feels harder and sometimes it feels smoother. But I know the tissue is still hard.

I did ask Dr. G and he said if there is no pain, do not worry about it. My PCP said in the last physical that the cut has turned out to be a keloid and asked me to apply some cream – which may or may not work. I do get itching once in a while and sometimes I have to scratch or touch the area to keep it from itching.

My question(s) :-
    1. Can this keloid, or scar tissue cause me trouble in the future?
    2. Is there a way to speed up this scar tissue dissolution process? I do not want any “may work,” “you can try” solutions but looking for sure fix it frizzles.
    3. Any thoughts why I have this issue? Dr. G said “For most people scar tissue will dissolve but for some, it will remaiin.” Comments?

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • WasInTN

August 3, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Scar Tissue – One year after IH Surgery

Dr. Towfigh
    I think what you explained is exactly correct. I have hard area just below the surgical cut. Not deep too but I can sense the hardness when I press it. My PCP said it was keloid and I assumed it was.

Thanks a lot

• drtowfigh

August 1, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Scar Tissue – One year after IH Surgery

Most scar tissue remodels maximally by 1 year but continues to remodel (that means, become softer and softer and flatter) for the rest of your life. A keloid is very specific. It is a lumpy growth on top of your skin. That doesn’t sound like what you have. Most likely you have a soft linear scar tissue feeling along the length of your wound.

It will continue to become softer after one year. It’s a slow process.

You can expedite it with certain injections. Creams won’t work anymore at this stage. They work for the skin and earlier on.
    If it bothers you, a good dermatologist and some plastic surgeons can inject, use lasers, or have other new technologies to soften up the scar.

If it’s not causing pain, the hard scar will not cause any damage and is not hurting anything.