News Feed Discussions Seeking recommendation for incisional hernia surgeon near Pittsburgh, PA

• Seeking recommendation for incisional hernia surgeon near Pittsburgh, PA

Posted by Incisional on August 28, 2019 at 6:59 pm

My incisional hernia developed about 5 months after my 9/2018, 10 ” midline laparotomy for endometrial cancer/ ovarian tumor surgery. I had a total hysterectomy with ovaries, tubes, lymph nodes and omentum removed as well. This was followed by 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol chemotherapy, ending in 2/2019. (No radiation) I currently have no evidence of disease.

In 3/2019 my CT scan report noted a “worsening diastasis”, however all of my doctors agree that it is now a hernia. When standing, I have a 1/2 cantaloupe sized bulge which seems to originate from where the midline incision curves around my bellybutton.

I am working with a physical therapist to reduce the diastasis recti- using exercises to strengthen the transverse abdominis muscles, etc., which has been very helpful. However, the hernia is still a problem and I fear it will grow. It is still reducible, and I wear a hernia belt for support during the day.

I have a few questions:

What is the best type of surgery for me, given the lack of omentum and possibility of future cancer metastasis in the abdomen?

Will mesh erode my intestines, cause adhesions, or hide tumors?

Are biologic and/or absorbable materials better options?

Are materials such as glues (fibrin glue?) and pledgets useful to eliminate or reduce the amount of mesh used?

Thanks for your help!

Incisional replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.