News Feed Discussions Self adhering mesh / Neurectomy

• Self adhering mesh / Neurectomy

Posted by clbear on April 8, 2018 at 1:25 am

Is it possible for self adhering mesh to be removed? I would like to know all potential options and hurdles as I go down the path of relief for post surgery chronic pain. Laproscopic, indirect inguinal, female.

clbear replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • clbear

April 8, 2018 at 8:01 pm
    quote Good intentions:

Sorry, I misread your post. I see the part about neurectomy. I did not have any neurectomy done when my mesh was removed. I also did not have any referred pain, or pain typical of nerve pressure, like shooting pains, or sharp pains. Mine was just dull soreness, pressure, and swelling caused by normal activities like running, biking, physical labor, etc. There were also side effects for other body functions, in that area, due to large scale inflammation. They all disappeared or diminished dramatically after the mesh was removed. I am now more like a person who just got stabbed in the abdomen several times. Slowly working through stretching out the scar tissue.

I have seen accounts of surgeons who cut nerves “just in case”. Nerves do grow back but the nerves they are cutting are large. You probably want to get very clear advice on what they plan to do, before you choose a doctor.

It seems that, because there is not a clear acceptance of what causes the pain, that there is also no clear acceptant of what to do when removing it. Nobody wants to accept that it’s just the mesh. So they cut nerves.

Replied to this bu T it was not authorized??

• clbear

April 8, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thank you for your reply Good intentions. I originally was going to ask in my post also what happens with a neurectomy but decided a single simple question might be best and I forgot to change my subject line. The surgeon who did my hernia repair listens well to my concerns and seems to want to go slowly step by step, antiinflammatories, pain clinic referral, etc. I have not yet broached with him whether in fact it seems the mesh is my issue and whether it should come out.

Who took yours out? How was the hernia addressed in the absence of mesh?

I dread another surgery but my life is altered significantly and if it is remote reasonable to think my body and this mesh are not a good fit then I will pursue that line of discussion emphatically

And, your pain causations and description mirror mine completely. Taking 800 MG of Motrin before moving around much absolutely helps but that is not sustainable.

• Good intentions

April 8, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Sorry, I misread your post. I see the part about neurectomy. I did not have any neurectomy done when my mesh was removed. I also did not have any referred pain, or pain typical of nerve pressure, like shooting pains, or sharp pains. Mine was just dull soreness, pressure, and swelling caused by normal activities like running, biking, physical labor, etc. There were also side effects for other body functions, in that area, due to large scale inflammation. They all disappeared or diminished dramatically after the mesh was removed. I am now more like a person who just got stabbed in the abdomen several times. Slowly working through stretching out the scar tissue.

I have seen accounts of surgeons who cut nerves “just in case”. Nerves do grow back but the nerves they are cutting are large. You probably want to get very clear advice on what they plan to do, before you choose a doctor.

It seems that, because there is not a clear acceptance of what causes the pain, that there is also no clear acceptant of what to do when removing it. Nobody wants to accept that it’s just the mesh. So they cut nerves.

• Good intentions

April 8, 2018 at 5:23 pm

The self-adhering nature of the mesh is more of a short-term adhesion. To hold it in place while tissue “ingrowth” occurs. Once ingrowth occurs it is probably just like a common mesh. After a few months they all look the same.

The reason for the development of self-adhering mesh is because one of the original causes proposed for mesh pain was the tacks, staples, or sutures, used to hold it in place. But, it’s becoming more clear now that is it the mesh itself that causes pain.

Beware of the gimmicky nature of some of the newly developed mesh products. The sales literature is for selling. And these products are actively sold, by professional marketing and sales people.

The surgeon you choose should be able to tell you about patients he or she repaired years ago that are very happy with their decision. If they can’t tell you about them they probably don’t exist.