News Feed Discussions Severe right groin pain, possible hernia?

• Severe right groin pain, possible hernia?

Posted by dmaz on June 28, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Hi everyone,
    I am a 30 year old female with four kids. About a month ago I started with a pain in my right groin. I thought that maybe I had pulled something. It just continued to get worse. By the end of the day I could not even walk, the pain was so piercing. It radiates down my leg to my knee, and is also in the inner thigh. I gave it many days before going to ER. They did a CT scan and said all looked normal aside from a cyst on my right ovary (had follow up ultrasound next morning). Follow up with midwife was yesterday and she said it wasn’t a cyst, I was actually about to ovulate. She said everything looked picture perfect actually.

In weeks the pain has just taken over my life. It gets worse as the day goes on. It definitely hurts more when I am walking, etc. The only relief I have is lying in bed at night, I usually wake up feeling better in the morning. However as soon as I begin to sit up from bed, the piercing sharp pain is right back in the area. I am a stomach sleeper and noticed it also really hurts laying on my stomach so I’ve been flipping around to my back.

Ive had a few days where I feel okay off and on, but it always comes back. It’s like I can point right to it. It’s where the leg meets the pelvis area, the crease. It is just awful! I am a busy mom and can’t afford to be laying around.

Does this sound like anyone’s story? I can’t think of anything that I did to bring it on, it just started one day. Would appreciate any insight. My midwife is sort of stumped but said to come back and we would do an ultrasound and maybe it’s the bowels.

i will say on the surgeons page, Dr. Szotek is only 2 1/2 hours from me but is not covered by my insurance (of course!!). Would it be worth meeting with him anyway?

Thanks so much for your time!
    Danielle

dmaz replied 6 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • dmaz

July 10, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Dr. Towfigh. When I visited the OB in my midwife’s practice he said hernia was at the top of his suspicion list. He said he wanted to review my films again. Still waiting on a call back. I called this morning to follow up and still haven’t heard back. I will call to schedule with the dr. you recommended at the Cleveland Clinic by tonight if I don’t hear anything. I’m in too much pain to be waiting around. 🙁

• drtowfigh

July 4, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Sounds like it can be a hernia. Inguinals can radiate to the inner thigh and down the leg but not below the knee.

Don’t give up! Seek as many consultations as you can to get to an answer.

• dmaz

June 29, 2017 at 2:44 am

Thank you Momof4! Ironic I was going to choose that as my username. 😉 My kiddos are 9, 7, 5 and going on 2 so I definitely have no time to be lying around. I saw on another thread that Dr. Towfigh recommended a doctor out of Cleveland Clinic and my insurance covers that! I will go see my midwife for a follow up (I am wondering if she was also thinking hernia since she said bowels) and if that visit produces nothing I will go elsewhere to consult. Cleveland is a few hours away but I don’t mind the drive if it means seeing someone who knows what they’re doing and what they’re looking for. There is definitely a reason I am having the pain I am (and I am not one to rush to doctors by any means). Definitely not a pulled muscle.

Thanka so much for replying to me. I keep praying the pain will go away but alas, not yet. :p

• Momof4

June 28, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Your symptoms definitely sound like they could be from a femoral hernia. A lot of the symptoms sound like ones that Dr. Towfigh has mentioned and ones that I experienced with my first femoral hernia. I certainly understand beause I am a busy mom of 4 that doesn’t have time to, or want to, lay around. I was much older when my pain started, 47, but mine started just like yours, out of the blue and no incident involved. After much experience with recurrent hernias and mesh problems, I cannot stress enough how important it is to see a surgeon that is a hernia expert. You want the right diagnostic tests and diagnosis and repair the first time! I know Dr. Szotek has contributed to this forum and may be a good place to start, since he is fairly close. I have learned the hard way that you have to travel for proper care and expertise and sometimes pay out of pocket, as well. It is my life and worth whatever it takes to feel good again. I hope you find answers soon. From someone who has been there, I understand how debilitating the pain can be. Best of luck to you.

• dmaz

June 28, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Oh I will also add I have been feeling ridiculously bloated and they did note some fluid in my abdomen on the CT. my midwife said that can be normal with ovulation but I’m still feeling ridiculously bloated!