News Feed Discussions Simple suture only repair?

• Simple suture only repair?

Posted by Alephy on January 6, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed an inguinal hernia on the right side (3 weeks ago). The bulge is small and they decided to check with the Ultra Sound which was positive. I am supposed to have a CT scan and a discussion with the surgeon next month. I have read all I could about the options and was wondering if anyone did go for a suture only repair, of the kind that is done with children? I mean no mesh and no wall reconstruction. I had an umbilical hernia that was repaired that way 16 years ago (small only fat as described by the surgeon)….it seems it’s not discussed much: is it because it can be used only rarely, or the surgeons these days would not agree to stepping off the path? I am aware of high recurrence and long rehab….
    btw as another question I read on a clinic website that apparently these hernias do not happen because of a physical strain but are congenital and it is not understood why it happens: is it true?

As a last question : does the European equivalent of FDA work the same way with meshes ie we have a similar problem in Europe with the impossibility of knowing if a mesh was ever tested in a long clinical trial for adverse effects? All the papers I have read discuss different treatments but could not see any specific clinical trial of a mesh model etc…

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Alex

Alephy replied 4 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.