News Feed Discussions Small hernia with pain?

• Small hernia with pain?

Posted by Alephy on January 22, 2020 at 11:58 pm

Can someone tell me how come if an hernia is small it can still cause lots of pain and or discomfort?? Is it because of a particular nerve that can be rigjt at the bulge and so it gets compressed even if slightly? I would assume the smaller the less painful it should be….or I am misunderstanding the whole thing?

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 5:38 am

Agree with @momof4

We’ve discussed this in past threads. Perhaps can search.

• Momof4

January 26, 2020 at 7:57 pm

@alephy
    I have had several occult and small hernias that have caused severe pain. I believe Dr. Towfigh has suggested that sometimes the smaller ones are the most painful, especially in women.

• Alephy

January 25, 2020 at 9:01 am

Thanks for the answer!

• Casimir

January 24, 2020 at 12:38 pm

@alephy I was told by a surgeon that small ones are very often more painful. Maybe there is more compression held in a smaller area…? I don’t know why. Your comment about a nerve getting compressed vs not would seem to be a major factor. I’d imagine like how a herniated disc can cause incredible pain or almost none, depending on it’s interaction with a nerve in your spine? Just my 2¢.

• JamesDoncaster

January 23, 2020 at 11:02 pm

My sister can see things that I can’t.

I can hear things (high pitches) that most others can’t.

It seems logical that some people would feel things that others would not.

• Alephy

January 23, 2020 at 2:12 pm

I see….is that due to everyone having nerves in different places do you think?

• JamesDoncaster

January 23, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I don’t think there is any correlation between hernia size and pain. My two hernias have been small and both have caused pain. I know people with giant hernias (visible to the naked eye) that have no pain at all.