News Feed Discussions Spermatic Cord placement during repair

• Spermatic Cord placement during repair

Posted by Unlucky on May 27, 2020 at 7:35 am

So, I am still investigating a Sports Hernia and soon will be seeking a fix. But I am confused on the different techniques of Tissue repairs and/or mesh repair. It appears that the spermatic cord is not placed back in the same spot, instead some methods leave it outside of the muscle or the deeper tissue. As this seems “shallow” (subcutaneous tissue) How is this not a problem for potential injury? Does anyone have a repair like this and can you easily feel the cord basically at the skin level? Is it now more sensitive to pressure? I understand this allows a tighter repair somehow, but why not put it back where it was? I would appreciate any info, thanks all!!

Unlucky replied 3 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Unlucky

May 29, 2020 at 12:33 pm

I’m on KY/TN border. I did ask Dr. Brown about this part of his procedure. It was at the end of his day so he did not comment much. He said it would be ok. I am sure he had a long day. But I was hoping someone whom had similar procedure could comment. It appears sports hernias and inguinal hernias share some repair techniques…which looks like the cord is not put back as deep…again I’m a common person and I may be reading bad info or incorrectly. I wonder how it Feels with external pressure on groin. Example…sex or something heavy being pressed against your groin area. Or can it be felt very easily after repair. Thanks for commenting!

• Tigerpawn

May 28, 2020 at 4:11 pm

What state in southeast

• Unlucky

May 28, 2020 at 12:07 pm

I am not and expert or PHD. That said, please understand any stupid questions. I trust in tissue repairs. I have been dealing with this injury since 2018. I have spoke with Dr. Brown by phone. I tried to edit my post as I did see that some methods put the cord just under the external oblique. (Shouldice and other repairs.) I live in the south eastern area of US. No one other than Dr. Meyers is close to me. I’m not being forced into a quick decision. I’ve been researching since 2018. And had many scans and doctor visits ruling out conventional problems. I would like to hear from someone with a repair that places the sperm cord in another spot. Anatomically…why not put it back in the same spot? If it is just so, well ok. If the cord is exposed prematurely ahead of the “ring” then does that lead to other problems? Has anyone had issues or felt weirdness with cord being closer to skin level…or up a little higher than the usual external ring?

• Alephy

May 28, 2020 at 11:35 am

Exactly! Always make/take decisions at home, never at the doctor’s office…..

• Good intentions

May 28, 2020 at 10:02 am

You should talk to Dr. Brown. It looks you might have been on his web site reading his description of his repair method.

Mesh is not an acceptable method to repair a “sports” hernia. Do you have a true hernia that you got playing sports, or do you have athletic pubalgia, pain from the wear and tear of sports but not a true hernia?

There used to be a pinned Topic about the subject but the site has been changed. It’s gone.

Be careful. It looks like you’re just starting with your problem and once you get in to a doctor’s office the urge to relax and accept whatever is offered will be great. That’s why many of the people are here.

@drbrown