News Feed Discussions Sporadic pain getting up and lying down-any thoughts?

• Sporadic pain getting up and lying down-any thoughts?

Posted by Hiway40blues on September 17, 2019 at 6:07 pm

I had open IH surgery, with mesh, a few days ago from a veteran surgeon. Everything seems to be healing on schedule: I still have soreness from the incision, and still have the usual bruises and discolorations, but I can tell things are getting better. I have one major concern though: when I lie down, or get up from bed, and sometimes when I sit down or stand up from a chair, I get a sharp sporadic pain where the IH ‘bulge’ was-I don’t mean pain at the incision site, I mean pain where the bulge was. (I say ‘was’ because it has mostly flattened out.) I don’t seem to have this pain standing or moving about- apparently it occurs only when my legs and torso are in a certain position. It doesn’t matter how slowly and cautiously I get up or lie down-this sporadic pain appears. I am very concerned that I am somehow damaging the new mesh; since the bulge seems to be going away, can’t think of any other explanation. I don’t go back to the surgeon for several more days, so I would really appreciate any medical insight, or similar experience. Thank you!

Hiway40blues replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Hiway40blues

October 7, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Thank you everybody. I appreciate the input.

• drtowfigh

September 21, 2019 at 4:39 pm

[USER=”2921″]Hiway40blues[/USER] time should heal this issue. The repair is sewn to muscles and ligaments. You contract your abdominal muscles and so it pulls on mesh (which doesn’t stretch). This should resolve. Keep active.

• DrBrown

September 18, 2019 at 7:45 pm

[USER=”2921″]Hiway40blues[/USER]
    Dear Hiway
    I have been very happy with the results of pure tissue repairs for hernias. The recurrence rate is low. The incidence of Chronic pain is low.
    The operation takes longer than the mesh repairs, that is the only downside.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Hiway40blues

September 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Thank you both for your response. I will post more later. I considered this type of repair for some time, and studied what both of you have said about it. The problem is: what alternative do most of us have? Mesh repair is not an ideal solution, but what is? I’m convinced that there aren’t any really good solutions to an inguinal hernia. They all have their drawbacks Thanks again..

• DrBrown

September 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm

[USER=”2921″]Hiway40blues[/USER]
    Dear Hiway.
    Be patient with your body. It will be at least two more weeks before you notice a big difference.
    It would be very difficult to damage the repair.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Good intentions

September 17, 2019 at 9:04 pm

At four days the mesh is basically just sitting in a bath of weak tissue and fluids. There is probably minor movement of the tissues and the mesh when you move.

Can you give some details of the procedure and the type of mesh that was used? Is it the same as your first procedure and did you go to the same surgeon?