News Feed Discussions Still having some discomfort at 4 weeks and 5 days after inguinal hernia surgery

• Still having some discomfort at 4 weeks and 5 days after inguinal hernia surgery

Posted by tredzign on June 2, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Ive had laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery 4 weeks and 5 days ago. They used Bard Soft 3Dmax lightweight mesh. I am still experiencing the following during recovery and I know some things take time to heal but I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts.

-I am currently having some right side pain. This pain is not near my inscision but off to the side of my body. Could this be a muscle in the stomach getting back to normal?

-My stomach “insides” feel as though they are bouncing around. I feel this the most when riding in a car? Has anyone else felt this?

-My hernia was by my right hip so right now I have 2 things going on. First, it still hurts at the crease of my right leg while sitting. Secondly, I am having some tingling, numbing that is around my right hip and going to my buttocks area. Has anyone else experienced these things?

I know the doctor tells me “things will gradually get better” and “give it time to heal” but I am curious if anyone else can relate to these things and what they did about them?

I am new to this forum and I thank everyone in advance!

Jnomesh replied 6 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Jnomesh

June 3, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Don’t think it really matters as they both have the same concave design that make them susceptible to folding over. 7 people i am In touch with who have the 3D maxx have had this happen to them once the surgeon went into remove the mesh it was found folded over. Not saying this is what is happening to you but if tour symptoms should happen to not improve over time I just wanted to make you aware of this pheromonem

• tredzign

June 3, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Now when you say 3D Max was your lightweight? Bc mine is the Bard Soft 3D max lightweight

• Jnomesh

June 3, 2018 at 12:55 am

This is by no means meant to scare you and I debated whether or not to chime in but I had the bard 3D maxx impnater inside me over 7 years ago-and it never felt right too and as time wen tin would flare up really bad. A year ago I them had really horrible experience with pain that was crippling. Long story short the mesh had folded over and crumpled up into a rock hard ball. I had to have the mesh wdplanted. During this whole ordeal I met and corresponded with a bunch of other guys who also had their 3D maxx mesh removed and it was found upon removal that the mesh had folded over inside of them too.
    there is a design flaw in this product that they market as a advantage-it is concave meant to better fit the 3D inguinal canal but because of this concavity it has the tendency to fold over especially if it isn’t fixated which this type of mesh doesn’t need to be.
    there are also a number of lawsuits out there for this type of mesh-you can google it.
    i hope that as tome goes on you feel better but if you don’t keep this in mind.

• tredzign

June 2, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Thank you for the info Good Intentions. I’m sorry to hear that yours never worked the way it was supposed to.

• Good intentions

June 2, 2018 at 7:35 pm

I can’t really speak to “normal” since mine never worked the way it was supposed to. I had bilateral Bard Soft Mesh via TEP. Wish I could help.

Good luck. Your surgeon should know best from his own history of patients.

• tredzign

June 2, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Thank you for that answer. As far as what am I doing for recovery nothing more then walking. Week 2 I was walking 3-5 miles a day but then my hip pain got really bad so I rested for a few days. Now Ive only been walking a little daily (2 miles or less) bc of my hip pain. Ive started doing a few stretches but wasnt sure exactly what stretches to do so I dont do them often as being scared ill make something worse.

As far as my stomach insides having a “moving” feeling what are your thoughts on that?

thank you:)

• Good intentions

June 2, 2018 at 6:56 pm

The area that the mesh covers is much larger than the entry points for the implantation. Typically a 6×6″ piece of mesh is cut, per side, to fit the space they create. You can measure across your abdomen and see that they cover all the way across your abdomen and down to the pubic bone. Bard 3D Max is different in that it is preshaped, but it is still covers a large area. So you will feel discomfort in areas you would not expect. I provided a link below showing the sizes. They range from 3.1 x 5.3″ to 4.8 x 6.7″.

What are you doing for recovery? Walking, stretching, light workouts? Your symptoms are not unusual at all, they’re actually somewhat mild, compared to what others have experienced.

Most surgeons will say that the mesh is pretty well locked in place at 2-3 weeks. Although it’s not clear that that is always the case. So, more “healing” is kind of vague. Not clear what you would be looking forward to.

Good luck. Provide more details and you’ll get some answers.

https://www.crbard.com/davol/en-US/products/3DMax-Light-Mesh#SpecificationTable