News Feed Discussions Stretching and core exercise recommendations

• Stretching and core exercise recommendations

Posted by dh305 on September 17, 2019 at 2:29 pm

I had a 3-month follow-up with my surgeon yesterday. Did a thorough physical exam and says the surgery held up well and no recurrence. Still have soreness, but despite reporting soreness still, he gave me the green light to go back to the gym. He is confident that it will get better and did not recommend imaging.

Are there any resources as to stretching and core building exercises to consult so that I can ease my way back in? Thank you for any information.

Hiway40blues replied 4 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Hiway40blues

October 7, 2019 at 10:35 pm

I second Maxwaxer’s question-it would be great to have some good ground rules on this topic. I would especially like to know when is a reasonable post-surgery time to begin gentle exercises. One month, or two, or three?

• Maxwaxer

October 7, 2019 at 6:14 am
  • dh305

September 24, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Thank you!

• drtowfigh

September 21, 2019 at 4:29 pm

You’re all absolutely right. We have no standard for postoperative rehabilitation.

I believe that, similar to orthopedic surgery, there must be a good rehab program after hernia repair. General surgeons are not good st this stuff. We have no studies on it.

Slow deliberate stretching is good.
    Yoga and Pilates is good once the early healing has completed
    any core fitness is good. Nothing fast or jerky.

• Jim82

September 21, 2019 at 12:26 am

My PT gave me printouts of the exercises. I also told him upfront I only wanted a couple of sessions. First session he evaluated my flexibility and gave me about 5 exercises. Went back in 6 weeks and he gave me 4 additional exercises.

• dh305

September 19, 2019 at 11:52 pm

Going to PT on Monday. Can’t hurt!

• Jim82

September 19, 2019 at 12:16 am

I do feel they help. Hard to tell how much I’m strengthening my core but I figured the stretching aspect couldn’t hurt. Not real comfortable passing on the actual exercises as I wouldn’t want anyone to hurt or injure themselves from advice form a non-medical person. A lot of insurance plans allow you to self-refer. Or you could try your family doctor to see if they would refer you.

• dh305

September 18, 2019 at 11:25 pm

I’ve read that also. I got my primary care doctor to give me a prescription for PT, and will be going for a few sessions.

• Hiway40blues

September 18, 2019 at 5:55 pm

I’ve been researching this myself. Haven’t found much. There are a couple of very brief pages about strengthening your core after IH surgery, so apparently people are prepared to help with it. My understanding is that once you have recuperated from surgery, yoga might be the safe way to start, then gradually ease into more strenuous exercises.

• dh305

September 18, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Do you feel the stretching/exercising benefited you and helped you to improve?
    I asked my surgeon for a script for PT. He refused. He says it’s a waste of time and I should slowly ease my way back into the gym and do crunches! No way I am doing crunches anytime soon. I probably just have to self-pay for the PT, which I am going to do.
    Mind sharing any type of exercises or stretching you learned? I’ve seen hip extensions are good.

• Jim82

September 18, 2019 at 10:27 am

I was in the same boat at the 3 month point. I made an appointment for two sessions with a physical therapist, told him I wanted some stretching and core strengthening exercises that did no focus on crunches and he provided instructions, training for 6 or so various exercises. Key is to find a PT who understands you don’t want endless/expensive sessions. My insurance allowed me to self-refer. Others may need their surgeon to provide a referral. Or just pay out of pocket.

• dh305

September 18, 2019 at 3:17 am

Same here. Why can’t they commit to a solid suggestion?

• Forest

September 18, 2019 at 12:32 am

I have the same question…even asked the dr and he just siad to ease yourself back into it and only do what you can…