News Feed Discussions surgeon with <1% recurrence, chronic pain rate?

• surgeon with <1% recurrence, chronic pain rate?

Posted by neilbdm on November 20, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Hi, I have an inguinal hernia, right side. I’ve done a lot of research online, & it’s looking like I’ll go for Lichtenstein or Open preperitoneal. Open preperitoneal maybe less pain; Lichtenstein maybe because easier to find an experienced surgeon. There’s a large variation in recurrence & chronic pain rates, but it appears possible to get

WasInTN replied 7 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • neilbdm

November 22, 2016 at 3:08 am

surgeon with <1% recurrence, chronic pain rate?

Hi,
    A sentence got left out when I posted, & I didn’t notice: I live in Northern Ireland; UK or Ireland, even Europe, is ok.
    I don’t mind male or female surgeon; will be paying. I could watch & wait; there’s different advice about that, & it depends a lot on the surgeon’s chronic pain & recurrence rates, IMO. That’s why I want the rates.
    Neil

• WasInTN

November 21, 2016 at 6:29 pm

surgeon with <1% recurrence, chronic pain rate?

Neil
    Next time when you ask such information, please provide where you live, and what are your preferences (like looking for male or female surgeons). Without that people usually cannot give you any details.

Are you in Africa or China or in Papa New Guinea islands? If you are in USA which state? There are good surgeons coast to coast and are you willing to travel? If so how far? Do you have a particular type of insurance that needs pre-certification? Or does your insurance work outside the state where you reside? If insurance does not pay for it or if you do not have insurance are you going to pay from your pocket? If so are you limited by a dollar amount? How long do you have the hernia? Does it need surgery quickly or did your PCP say you can watch and wait?

If you give more details you will get more information. Having said that I went to Dr. Goodyear in PA but I live in KY. I am happy with his technique. So are others. Some people who live in CA and DC travel to him too. Drs. Towfigh, Chen and many others in CA are well known. Dr Ramshaw in Florida is famous for mesh clean up and corrections. So is Dr. Tomas in FL who does no mesh surgeries.

So give more details and you will get more information to the point.