News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Suture material

• Suture material

Posted by Unknown Member on November 22, 2023 at 8:16 am

dr Reinhorn says he uses 30 cm of propylene suture in his shouldice hernia repair….that is a lot of material. One friend says its pretty close to the amount of plastic used in mesh. Dr. Kang uses 7 cm or propylene suture….doesnt this argue for the superiority of the kang repair.?

Oceanic replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Oceanic

November 23, 2023 at 8:04 am

I think everyone is aware MarkK is another Chuck sock puppet account

• MarkT

November 23, 2023 at 10:17 am

Yes, I’m aware too…I respond mainly for the benefit of other readers coming to the forum who might otherwise become misinformed or unnecessarily concerned by such posts.

• Oceanic

November 27, 2023 at 5:32 am

Agreed, the awful mis-informaiton and fear he spreads does need countering

• MarkT

November 22, 2023 at 12:30 pm

That is not a lot of material…and 30cm of thin suture is nowhere near the same amount of material in even the smallest pieces of mesh that are used in hernia repair, never mind the pieces that are used to cover a larger area when deemed appropriate.

Also, are you considering only the incision or the total length of suture used to complete the repair? I honestly have no idea, but are you sure that Dr. Kang only uses 7cm of sutures in total?

In any case, it is not appropriate to evaluate and compare the quality of repairs on the basis of suture length…you evaluate quality (at least from a patient perspective) on the basis of outcomes. So unless there is solid evidence that suggests ‘more suture material = more post-op complications’, then there is probably not a good reason to worry about such differences.