News Feed Discussions The List

• The List

Posted by Mesh on August 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm

The List

A group of removal patients have compiled this list to help others get in touch with actual removal patients.
    In compliance with HIPPA here are some people who gave us permission to share their experiences, type of removal and who they went to to help others understand more about mesh removal.
    Make sure you know that removal is not one size fits all and to talk to people who have had your EXACT needed procedure. Mesh removal is very serious. People have been permanently damaged and tricked into surgery from careless consulting on the seriousness of mesh removal and the generalizing of mesh removal as a whole.

Dr. Brent Matthews NC

Dr. Shirin Towfigh Beverly Hills, CA
    Jeff Brent- Lap placed mesh – lap removal
    [email protected]

Dr. David Chen Santa Monica, CA
    Patients:
    Desiree Sanchez
    [email protected]
    I am willing to talk about my experience with Dr. Chen. I had an open mesh placement and open removal with triple neurectomy for a left side inguinal hernia. I can be messaged on here.

Dr. David Grishkan Cleveland, Ohio
    Patients:
    Eric 1 (541) 218-6232
    Lap placed inguinal mesh and umbilical
    Lap Removal of one groin and umbilical mesh.

Dr. Brian Jacobs NYC
    Patients:
    Pauline Diddario [email protected]
    Pauline’s son had lap removal of lap placed mesh. Inquire with her. She’s in the group.

Dr. Billings Seattle, Wa
    Patients:
    Gordy Pearcy (206) 789-7003
    Lap place left inguinal mesh and lap removal
    Gordy is from Seattle.

Dr. Bruce Ramshaw
    Patients:
    Joshua Dürmaj Facebook
    Bi lateral open placed inguinal mesh and bilateral open removal with single neurectomy of the Ilioinguinal nerve

Dr. Todd Heniford Charlotte, NC (704) 355-1813
    Patients:
    Bruce Rosenberg (954) 701-5904

Dr. Igor Belyansky Annapolis, MD (443)-481-6699
    Patients:

Dr. Laker in Michigan
    Patient: Julian Bousamra [email protected]
    Open placed plug and patch mesh lap removal of plug only. Interesting case.

Dr. William Meyers

Dr. William Brown
    Patients:
    Chris Moody +1 (360) 947-4428
    Open placed inguinal mesh open removal with single neurectomy.

Dr. Kevin Petersen Las Vegas, NV
    Patients: All Worse.

Rocky Elkins – [email protected] 702.325.5966
    Bilateral lap placed bikini mesh and bilateral OPEN removal. This is seriously frowned upon and overly invasive according to Drs. Rocky is disabled from removal. Severely injured and harmed.

John Nix – [email protected] 719.661.7878
    Open placed double layer mesh open removal with triple neurectomy. John and Paul have managed to be come close friends. They are both worse. Disabled and severely injured.

James Gens – [email protected] 978.888.8887
    Lap placed inguinal mesh with lap removal. In contact with James over the years. He is worse and injured badly from removal.

Michael Billington – [email protected] 719.661.7878
    Lap placed inguinal mesh and OPEN removal
    Michaels a great guy sweetheart. Yoga teacher. He’s unfortunately battling a worse case after removal with hernias caused by removal.

Paul Proios – [email protected] 206.229.3617
    Open Placed mesh open removal with triple neurectomy.
    Triple neurectomies are a tragic result as you know his story. Weigh that our carefully.

Hal Samples (214) 476-9297
    Open removal of inguinal mesh no nerves resected. Hal has a video out that looks like he’s some success story. He’s been worse since removal.

BJ Fendler is on Facebook open removal of inguinal mesh. Concerned.

Dr. Kyle Mueller
    Northwestern Surgical Associates
    Arkes Family Pavilion
    676 N Saint Clair Street Suite #1525
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 475-9327

Patients:
    Josh McChristian [email protected]
    Mesh removal\bowel resection

Dr Marc Gottlieb at Banner University in Phoenix

Dr. Robert Stewart Louisville, KY (502) 792-7787

Dr. H Saylor Sedina, MN (952) 955-4410

Dr. Eduardo Parra Davila Florida (407) 303 4658

Dr. William Arnold Phoenix AZ

Good intentions replied 5 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Good intentions

January 30, 2019 at 12:27 am
    quote Chaunce1234:

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] by any chance did you report your case to the FDA as an adverse event?

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/P…/ucm317444.htm

I have been through that form but have not submitted one. I need to contact Dr. Billing and see if he filled out the Health Professional form. I know that he is aware of the FDA’s ability to accept reports and hoped/assumed that he reported mine but have not confirmed it.

I have everything I need to report it. Frankly, I don’t have much faith in the FDA, but will add to their database anyway, in case they get new leadership and get back to their mission. Here is a more direct link to the forms.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/index.cfm?action=reporting.home

• Chaunce1234

January 29, 2019 at 11:11 pm

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] by any chance did you report your case to the FDA as an adverse event?

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/HerniaSurgicalMesh/ucm317444.htm

• Lucky46

January 25, 2019 at 8:56 am
    quote Good intentions:

I had forgotten about this list. I’ve considered starting a new topic on my own recovery from mesh removal. Finally, a year later, it seems like the ordeal might actually be ending. More good days than bad. Less time managing the damage zone and more time doing normal life things. I’m actually planning for the future and acting on those plans now, unlike even just a few months ago when I would get distracted by new issues at the damage zone and go back to living day by day. Three years of mesh, one year of recovery from its removal. Four years since making the “smart” decision to avoid future problems with incarceration, and taking the advice of the surgeon who promised that I would be back in action, stronger than ever, after just a few weeks.

I still stay in touch with Dr. Peter Billing, who did the mesh removal. He has left the practice he cofounded, Eviva, and is starting a new practice. Apparently he wants more freedom to choose the type of surgery that he does. Eviva was primarily focused on weight loss surgery, and hernia repair and mesh removal were “side lines”, my impression from my experience overall with Eviva. He will be working in Seattle and Kirkland Washington. I’ll post his new contact information when it is available, which should be soon.

From what I’ve gathered over these years of collecting information, there are actually successful ways to use mesh for hernia repair, with no way to confirm which is which though. The surgeon has much freedom to try whatever they would like to try, as long as the patient survives the surgery. And the surgeon decides how involved they would like to be in the patient’s recovery. So it’s up to the individual surgeon to take responsibility for what they do. Not rely on the device makers’ advice.

Even though I can’t imagine having more mesh implanted in my own abdomen, because of the reaction I had to my TEP procedure with Bard Soft Mesh, it might be that Dr. Billing’s repair method is one of the good ones. I have not asked but I think that he stays in touch with his hernia repair patients also, so knows what works. He uses TAPP and a J&J mesh (now Ethicon) for his hernia repairs, as I understand things. I’ll try to get more details in the future.

This is a good list that we should keep updated. I am open to responding to any messages through the site.

Very happy to hear you are doing better.

• Good intentions

January 25, 2019 at 4:51 am

I had forgotten about this list. I’ve considered starting a new topic on my own recovery from mesh removal. Finally, a year later, it seems like the ordeal might actually be ending. More good days than bad. Less time managing the damage zone and more time doing normal life things. I’m actually planning for the future and acting on those plans now, unlike even just a few months ago when I would get distracted by new issues at the damage zone and go back to living day by day. Three years of mesh, one year of recovery from its removal. Four years since making the “smart” decision to avoid future problems with incarceration, and taking the advice of the surgeon who promised that I would be back in action, stronger than ever, after just a few weeks.

I still stay in touch with Dr. Peter Billing, who did the mesh removal. He has left the practice he cofounded, Eviva, and is starting a new practice. Apparently he wants more freedom to choose the type of surgery that he does. Eviva was primarily focused on weight loss surgery, and hernia repair and mesh removal were “side lines”, my impression from my experience overall with Eviva. He will be working in Seattle and Kirkland Washington. I’ll post his new contact information when it is available, which should be soon.

From what I’ve gathered over these years of collecting information, there are actually successful ways to use mesh for hernia repair, with no way to confirm which is which though. The surgeon has much freedom to try whatever they would like to try, as long as the patient survives the surgery. And the surgeon decides how involved they would like to be in the patient’s recovery. So it’s up to the individual surgeon to take responsibility for what they do. Not rely on the device makers’ advice.

Even though I can’t imagine having more mesh implanted in my own abdomen, because of the reaction I had to my TEP procedure with Bard Soft Mesh, it might be that Dr. Billing’s repair method is one of the good ones. I have not asked but I think that he stays in touch with his hernia repair patients also, so knows what works. He uses TAPP and a J&J mesh (now Ethicon) for his hernia repairs, as I understand things. I’ll try to get more details in the future.

This is a good list that we should keep updated. I am open to responding to any messages through the site.

• Chaunce1234

January 24, 2019 at 11:46 pm

On a related note, there are likely lessons to be learned from the large groups of women who successfully organized against vaginal mesh and to raise awareness on that topic. It took them a lot of time, and they had to create a lot of noise, but they were effective in enacting change and getting the problem acknowledged. Perhaps a similar group of motivated men and women could organize around this topic of hernia complications and hernia mesh, using that same framework and model, and create some institutional change and awareness.

• Chaunce1234

January 24, 2019 at 11:41 pm

This is an interesting list and I suspect it could have value to other possible patients, since patient-to-patient communication is quite rare. If it’s possible to rename the title or re-post it with something a bit easier to find like “List of Mesh Removal Patients & Doctors” or something similar it may be easier to stumble upon by other patients both on these forums and on the broader internet.

Out of curiosity, are all of these patients for mesh removal only? Also, are the doctors in this list all primarily mesh removal doctors or do they also perform classic hernia tissue repairs?

It’s a big ask, but it could be helpful if some of these patients participated in this forum to share their specific experiences, their original condition, why they sought out removal and what their condition was at that time, experience and condition before and after surgeries, what follow-up surgeries were had if any, other treatments, and how they’re doing today. I’ve heard there are Facebook groups on this topic, but Facebook is a closed system and it’s not accessible to broader web search or to those not using that service.

Knowing that anyone is worse off after a surgery that is supposed to help is just horrible. I have tremendous sympathy for anyone who has chronic pain or a chronic health condition that has negatively impacted their life, hopefully something can be learned from these people and their cases. Serious health issues are obviously devastating to the patient and their existence, but also detrimental to that persons family, friends, children, livelihood, community, etc. All the more important for this issue to be figured out so that detrimental side effects can be avoided in the future.