News Feed Discussions UNBELIEVABLE! 2nd inguinal hernia after 1st repair in April

• UNBELIEVABLE! 2nd inguinal hernia after 1st repair in April

Posted by Smurph71904 on October 18, 2018 at 12:55 am

Hi!

I had an open repair in April on my left side. I thought i had a new hernia and i am almost 100% certain i do kn the right. I made an appointment for Tuesday with my surgeon.

does anyone know if this is common? Have you heard of this? Google is not helping me.

I’m a healthy 31 yr old female.

I’m stunned

thanks guys!

Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

November 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
    quote Smurph71904:

Hi!

I had an open repair in April on my left side. I thought i had a new hernia and i am almost 100% certain i do kn the right. I made an appointment for Tuesday with my surgeon.

does anyone know if this is common? Have you heard of this? Google is not helping me.

I’m a healthy 31 yr old female.

I’m stunned

thanks guys!

Anecdotally I have read that repairing one side can sometimes cause an existing weakness on the other side to worsen, but not always. Maybe the abdomen shifts the load from the newly repaired strong side to the other side, who knows? I do not know if there is strong clinical evidence for any of this, or if it’s just something observed by some patients and surgeons. It’s also possible that you always had hernias on both sides, and now the other side is simply bothering you for whatever reason.

It would be very interesting for a surgeon to give their experience on this however.

How did your appointment with the surgeon go? Any updates on your case? Was your open repair with or without mesh and how did that first surgery and recovery go?

• Ben999

October 24, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I had an open repair with mesh in March this year and now have a hernia (diagnosed by exam and ultrasound) on the same side.
    Although the first one was direct and this one is indirect.