News Feed Discussions Very basic question

• Very basic question

Posted by Hiway40blues on August 14, 2019 at 12:57 am

This will seem elementary to some: I had a right side IH repaired about a year ago, after a period of “watchful waiting.” It wasn’t really painful: I had surgery because it was getting larger. Recently I developed a ‘left side’ IH. It is as big as the first one, and unlike the first one, it is quite painful. As a ‘veteran’ of IH, I should know this, but I honestly don’t: If an IH is painful before surgery, after successful surgery, does the pain clear up? Not the surgical pain-I’ve been through that-I mean the former, un-repaired pain from an IH. Sorry if this seems simplistic-at this point, I could use some reassurance.

Hiway40blues replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Hiway40blues

August 28, 2019 at 2:51 am

Dr. Brown: Thank you very much-that is very decent of you. I have confidence in my surgeon, but I wish I lived in your area. Regards.

• DrBrown

August 23, 2019 at 5:35 pm

[USER=”2921″]Hiway40blues[/USER]
    I pray that your surgery and recovery go smoothly.
    Bill Brown MD

• Hiway40blues

August 22, 2019 at 10:55 pm

Thank you. I appreciate all the information you share here. I’m in the pipeline for my repair- unwillingly.

• DrBrown

August 16, 2019 at 4:05 am

[USER=”2921″]Hiway40blues[/USER]
    The longer you have pain preoperatively, the more likely you will have persistent pain after surgery.
    I would advise you to see your surgeon and have it repaired in the near future.
    regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• kaspa

August 14, 2019 at 6:42 pm

That’s a nice question and not simplistic at all. What I’ve read is that if you have pain before surgery, that’s the greatest risk factor for pain after surgery. As I understand it, if you have pre-op pain and keep it after successful surgery, that’s the most difficult post-op pain to treat.