News Feed Discussions Vincera Institute Philadelphia pa -anyone know about Dr. Poor or Dr, Meyers.

• Good intentions

October 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm

I mis-wrote above. The Onlfex mesh is placed under the pubic bone, but, apparently, not directly attached. Typically, as I understand things though, the mesh will “bond” to the pubic bone during “healing”, if it is in the vicinity. My mesh had to be peeled from the pubic bone during mesh removal. It was placed via TEP.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/srp/2016/6935167/

• Good intentions

October 6, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hello Richard. I pulled much of what you wrote in your other post and tried to summarize it below. It looks like you’ve had quite a bit of surgical activity in the lower abdomen and groins.

I know that even without mesh, scar tissue will form and shrink and get tight after surgery. It’s just how the body heals. I’ve had both of my Bard Soft Mesh devices (“lightweight” flat mesh), removed and even the left side which should have no mesh at all remaining is still tight. I think that the surrounding tissue also responds and thickens in response to the trauma of surgery, so it’s more than just mesh. Flexible elastic tissue turns in to somewhat stiff inelastic tissue due to the cutting and damage alone.

Without more details of the recent surgery I think that even a doctor might have trouble advising on what’s happening. Was the exploratory surgery done at the Vincera Institute? Was it open surgery or laparoscopic? Was any mesh removed, or replaced, or added? Did you get any physical therapy advice? Since you had a more normal muscle repair there should be common PT methods available for healing.

Good luck.

Here’s the summary from your other topic. A lot going on.

74 years old, weigh 160 pounds, good health before this happened.
    (Right side???) First surgery failed because a muscle stuck to the mesh and the mesh balled up.
    the balled up mesh was removed except for a small residual of the mesh that was stuck to a muscle and that residual was used to reconstruct the canal floor by joining the residual and oblique and transversal muscles to the inguinal ligament. The newly created internal ring was just lateral to the pubic tubercle. Also, the operative report seems to say the newly created ring is between the abdomen and the mesh.

(Left side???) Second surgery worked for 2 years and then failed while I was . exercising. I think the weakened muscle may have given way and the repair now pulls from left to right instead from up to down. Puts tremendous pressure on left groin.
    for 2 years after the last surgery, I was able to move around pain free. Three months ago while exercising (treading water vigorously with my legs), I pulled my left groin. I felt a tearing of flesh just left of my penis and the ridge on the top of the previous hernia repair scar rapidly released tension. The ridge of the repair scar has moved down and left on my abdomen and now the pulling and hurting sensation is along this ridge and my left pubic area. The last repair replaced the mesh with an Onflex kugel patch from Bard. The repair has always been tight. Both surgeries were open inguinal surgeries.
    On the operative report, the doctor said “An Onflex Kugel Patch from Bard was positioned in the preperitoneal space.”

Onflex is a technique and material from Bard that attaches a piece of mesh to the pubic bone, via open surgery. The mesh extends up to cover the weak areas of the inguinal canal.

• [email protected]

October 6, 2018 at 3:14 pm

I had an exploration of my left groin and found that the muscles of my pubic bone on the left side were torn off up to the center of the pubic bone. The surgeon reattached the muscles but I still have a lot of pulling pain. I am really tight. What could cause this? Is the mesh causing this?

• Chaunce1234

August 20, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Dr Meyer and Dr Poor are both very well regarded in athletic circles and responsive as [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] mentions, I do think the Vincera Institute is usually focused on athletes and movement type injuries, though they certainly do hernia repair as well. I don’t know if they do mesh removal or how often, but it’d be certainly worth investigating and reporting back.

If you’re in the NE USA, you could also consider reaching out to the following hernia experts who have treated patients on these forums for various complex hernia re-do surgeries and other difficult situations like mesh removal and repair:

– Dr Igor Belyansky in Annapolis MD

– Dr Brian Jacobs in NYC, NY

Perhaps reach out to all of the above with a short explanation of your current problem/symptoms and any prior surgery, and ask what experience they have treating a similar situation?

Anyway, best of luck and keep us updated on your case and decision making.

• Good intentions

August 19, 2018 at 6:17 pm

I am pasting the link to your other topic here, for reference. The Vincera Institute seems more focused on athletic pubalgia, or sports hernia. Certainly worth talking to but your situation doesn’t seem like their normal type of problem.

Good luck.

https://www.herniatalk.com/7977-need-help-2nd-hernia-repair-gone-bad

• Good intentions

August 19, 2018 at 6:01 pm

I have talked, indirectly, to Dr. Meyers, through Marcia Horner. They were very responsive to my communications. If you send an email or letter your questions will probably be addressed. The more detail the better.