News Feed Discussions Walking on an incline β€” a problem?

• Walking on an incline β€” a problem?

Posted by Casimir on February 4, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Hello
    Can any doctors or anyone that might know please help advise why walking on an incline, medium even grade, would cause far more pain than otherwise walking?

When I got my surgery they said no incline walking for 4 weeks. Is this specific to desarda?

I can do the classic “body builder pose” and contract my abs hard without much issue. But if I try to get exercise now on an incline, it’s a no-go pretty fast. I don’t understand it? It doesn’t seem like that uses your abs, much more like your glutes…could this be a clue I have a problem with my psoas muscle? Or something else?

Many thanks in advance.

Casimir replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Casimir

March 5, 2020 at 12:18 pm

@mitchtom6 I agree 100%. Walking on an incline now is better, and more tolerable. The pushing down required when walking up a lot of steps seems to be more aggravating and I DO avoid it like the plague πŸ™‚ I never did stair training anyway, since my knees have arthritis in the kneecap — sort of a built in regulator.

@alephy Right? I’d like to hear form some that are 100% back to high intensity activity. I suppose I can be thankful this didn’t happen to me in my 20’s 30’s or 40’s… trying to see the silver lining, though, there is none if I’m being honest.

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 8:48 am

More reason to not have a mesh! How do athletes cope with a mesh?? I am still trying to find one that went for it and did fine. . .

• mitchtom6

March 2, 2020 at 8:09 am

I would avoid stair excercises like the plague. Ordinary stairs for general mobility are fine. But don’t do stadium running, stair masters, etc. I made that mistake 5 years after my mesh repair. After my workout, which was pretty darn intense, things felt a little bit irritated in my groin. The next day, I crossed my legs on the couch and felt a ripping sensation in my groin. It hurt for many months, and I have now had over a year of spasms, with multiple doctors suggesting mesh removal. I was doing fine until the stairs. Take caution, my friend.

• Casimir

February 20, 2020 at 5:35 pm

@good-intentions Thank you for the positive words πŸ™‚ Much appreciated.

I really hope it can help. I am thinking of spending a small $10 a month or so to run targeted ads so it gets more exposure. It won’t make any profit or anything like that, not my goal. My business is B2B online retail, so this is sort of what I do and know I guess.

Herniatalk.com must be the gold standard of info. So thankful it’s here.

Dr Kang’s site is nice and informative! You know… it seems the better the repute of the surgeon, I notice, the more they are proponents of informing yourself.

What is says… well I figured i’d try to do something in my small way on FB, driven by lessons learned about what a shortcoming of knowledge can lead to β€”Β what largely caused the cascade of my story (w/o mentioning the people that did know better but didn’t show up) . That’s pretty much what it says. Thanks again.

• Good intentions

February 20, 2020 at 4:40 pm

That is a very nice Facebook page @cshelter (I notice that your old name is necessary for notification. Not good, people will forget). As I was looking through it I thought about our current social environment and how easy it would be to get blocked by Facebook, due to a complaint from one of the big corporations. Something to consider. I have thought of creating a personal web page, to do what you’re doing, collecting resources for others to use. So far though, Dr. Towfigh’s site works well.

Also, I clicked on “More” to read about your reasons for starting the page and Facebook required a Log-in to go further. It’s the one thing I hate about Facebook and many other sites. They do everything they can to get you to log in so that they can collect your history, for marketing. Anyway, the site is still very useful. I did not realize that Dr. Kang’s hospital had upgraded their web site so much. It is very informative itself.

Good luck with the page.

• Casimir

February 19, 2020 at 9:11 pm

@good-intentions (I changed my username)

I know there are others in much worse shape than me, for various reasons, some it’s just bad luck. I feel so terrible for them. I see them in various groups.

Due to the lesson I learned from what should have been a relatively simple surgery and statistically likely a healthy recovery and back to enjoyable life, and instead went into a hellish domino effect / rabbit hole which (the lesson learned!) could have been avoided if I myself knew a little more and I myself could have had the confidence to recognize the problems like bad exam, bad choice of treatment, at the Desarda Clinic β€” in response to that, I made a page that hopefully will allow some others to avoid this same hellish experience. Doing it has in itself made me feel better actually.

It’s here: https://www.facebook.com/herniaHQ/

I’ll keep adding to it. I know it will help someone.

If anyone has suggestions I’m totally open.

• Casimir

February 19, 2020 at 7:30 pm

@good-intentions I had the Desarda. Then a recur of the initial indirect quickly followed. Incisional followed.

Second surgery followed — mesh used to reinforce the abdominal wall (I’m not exactly sure how), and there was a thin strip of mesh in the groin area which is more flexible I believe (goretex) than polypropylene. The tissue frayed, there was not enough left to restructure with, and I believe it acts as sort of a bridge to reconnect what is there, and more grows in. He said the tissue looked like a ballon looks after it pops.

I put the op report in a post, not sure if it’s there still, it explains it.

I do gentle slow stretching. And slowly am introducing strength exercises.

• Good intentions

February 19, 2020 at 6:06 pm

That’s good to hear. You might try stairs. It’s similar exertion but a different type of motion. Less leaning forward. I had good results with stairs when I was trying to make my mesh work.

I am still not clear on what you have. I thought that you had a failed Desarda procedure, and now have a mesh implant. Mesh, and the scar tissue, will shrink and tends to bind things up as it does.

• Casimir

February 19, 2020 at 6:00 pm

@good-intentions Just an update. First, I think the Desarda doesn’t like incline walking early on because it wraps around a ligament that gets stressed more walking on an incline. I could be wrong though. That did happen once before too — I thought I was wrong about something, but, actually I was right πŸ˜‰ Some levity..ok seriously though…..

Update — I can walk on an incline on the treadmill much better now, today 14 minutes at a 9 degree incline… thank God, because I was not getting any cardio and my BP was going nuts and it was just another aspect making me feel awful.

It’s back to normal now. Getting cautiously optimistic…

• Alephy

February 6, 2020 at 2:16 am

Yes I agree 100% with good intentions! Disrupt in any way the core and you will have major mobility problems…the fascia here plays an important role too (in fact even without a mesh just cutting the fascia can lead to problems I think)…that part of the body is just a perfect clockwork that requires infinite precision and skills to be handled! It’s not routine surgery…

• Good intentions

February 5, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Hello @cshelter

I went back and looked at your first Topic and if I read it right it syas that you had a failed Desarda procedure, an incisional hernia, then a mesh repair (Post #21117 in the link below). Is this correct? I don’t think that you ever said what type of mesh repair that you had.

As I dealt with my mesh problems I realized why that area of the body is called the “core”. All movements of any part of the body, excpeting eyelids and other small parts, seem to energize the muscles of the core. If you imagine how a person walks and the muscles that are used, we are basically balancing on a pair of stilts when we walk on level ground. On an incline different muscles are used to maintain our balance. This might be why you are feeling pain on an incline.

Also, related to the mesh (if you do have mesh), many surgeons like to attach the mesh to the pubic bone. I assume that they assume that this will stop it from moving and that they can tack in to the pubic bone because it is not one of the defined areas that should not be touched during hernia repair. AKA the “triangle of doom”.

If you started a new Topic with clear details of your situation you might get some good advice. I still don’t have a full picture of what has happened to you. Any previous messages that we shared are gone now, apparently.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/recurrence-with-incisional-hernia-living-a-nightmare/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075841/

Recurrence with incisional hernia – living a nightmare

• Casimir

February 5, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Could anyone chime in? πŸ™‚