News Feed Discussions What can cause lower abdominal pain triggered by certain physical movements?

• What can cause lower abdominal pain triggered by certain physical movements?

Posted by wth on August 23, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Hello,

Background: I’m in my early 30’s.
    Had a laparoscopic appendix removal more than a decade ago. No complications post surgery.
    Have a very strict healthy diet of what food I eat during the week for the last few years, and no problems.
    On weekends sometimes, I would lift a six pack of Crystal Geyser water of 6 gallon from my car truck to my place that I bought at the grocery store, also did that the last few years and no problems. Also would lift some grocery bags and my laundry cart with clothes together when I would run my errands last few few years and no problems.
    Have an office job, so mostly have prolonged sitting on the computer, but no problems with it either in the last few years. My stool, appetite seem to be be still normal after symptoms developed.

It all started when I had a one night stand encounter with a girl back in June 19 – first week after, I felt some urethra tingling.
    Then 2-3 weeks after: Starting on July 10 I’ve started to experience lower abdominal dull pain (1.5 inch below the belly line to the right or left), tenderness, also feeling of bloatedness and like something is protruding under the skin (no visible bump) from either the right or the left side (on the left side it also seems to also radiate to the groin or left testicle area) that seems to get activated when I do certain physical movements, like like playing table tennis/billiard, sitting on the couch with my back aligned with the back of the couch, bending over, lifting some bag of groceries, moving my stomach to a certain range that would activate it.
    Also noticed there are times when this bump appears in this place (right lower abdomen). It seems like it is filled with gas, and then it disappears after a while … (like it appeared on August 13 in bed at 6 a.m. when I lie on my left side, sometimes I wake up because of discomfort … I don’t have it now but just maybe it can give a clue on what can cause this)
    https://imgur.com/a/Qb7nb9g?desktop=1

So far I’ve seen a family doctor, general surgeon, urologist and gastroenterologist. I got blood work, urine test, occult blood in stool test, ultrasound of the scrotum, abdominal complete, abdominal of the pelvis, abdominal wall. Full STDS panel (couple of times). And all came back negative and no evidence for hernia (also doctors did a physical examination for a hernia).

Gastroenterologist mentioned it could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome made worst by stress, but I don’t really feel more stressed than usual, also there are no other typical symptoms to IBS such as diarrhea, nausea or anything else. Or he said it could be a stomach muscle strains, but I doubt it can that be felt like it’s from the inside of the stomach and radiates to the groin area.

I got a CT of the abdominal and pelvis with and without contrast, and it didn’t show anything abnormal, no signs for hernia.

Will MRI be more accurate of showing so? Because I saw this article (made by Shirin Towfigh, MD):
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam…rticle/1893806
    and it mentions that MRI is more accurate than a CT? Are there other medical studies to support the data? What kind of MRI do I need if at all?

It’s been already 6 weeks, and the “pain” is coming on and off. There are some days when I feel better, like I feel normal again, but then after prolonged sitting, or perhaps doing something what I described above, the pain gets activiated, so it then for example would start on the left lower stomach and would radiate down the groin to the testicle area, then after a day, it would shift to the right right side of the lower stomach an below the belly line to the right – I would feel this bloatness on the right side, and then, I would go to bed, and would feel it “getting worst” if I end up in a sleeping position on my stomach. Then another day or two pass, I go to sleep on the on my left side, and wake up in the morning in a normal mode again, so then I can be normal like that for maybe couple of days, thinking that here I got better, only for it to come back again after couple of days – Does this sound like a hernia at all (could it be the the ultrasound/ct didn’t catch it because I was feeling “normal” at the time, meaning no symptoms)? Could this be any related to the encounter that I had? Are there any viruses or bacteria (SIBO?) that could cause these symptoms that could been transmitted sexually that are not covered in the standard STDs panels?

Does anyone have any idea or suggestion what could cause the symptoms I’m describing or what other doctors/tests I should see/get?

Thanks!

View post on imgur.com

Good intentions replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Good intentions

September 1, 2019 at 11:54 pm

Sorry wth I don’t have any specific exercises in mind. I think people have described them in different topics on the site though.

Dr Towfigh is at the Beverly Hills Hernia Center. A good starting point for you,. And Dr. Bill Brown is in Fremont. He can differentiate between a hernia and sports pubalgia (AKA sports hernia). They are both true hernia experts.

Read the “sticky” at the top of the forum about sports hernias. They don’t show hernia signs but cause pain similar to hernias.

Good luck.

https://www.beverlyhillsherniacenter.com/

https://www.sportshernia.com/

https://www.herniatalk.com/6882-in-depth-sports-hernia-guide-infographic

• wth

September 1, 2019 at 5:19 pm
    quote Good intentions:

I tried to break your story down to the basic elements. It was a bit convoluted.

I think that as a hernia develops the tissue and nerves in the vicinity get stretched and damaged, causing discomfort and pain. There is a certain threshold I’m sure where a surgeon’s fingers can feel a hernia or where it shows clearly on imaging. But before then it’s just overly stretched nerves and tissue, that look and feel normal.

So, a guess would be that you are in the early stages of hernia development. You might consider doing exercises that help strengthen the abdominal wall, in the hope of preventing a full hernia from developing. The results might also be a clue as to what is happening, If things get better or worse, it might be telling.

Be careful though, in seeking a solution. If you look far and long enough you will find a surgeon who proposes “exploratory” surgery to see if you have a hernia. The end result could easily end up as a mesh “repair” and you’ll be in a whole different world if you have mesh problems.

So, good luck, don’t be hasty, and don’t trust “big medicine”. It’s not designed for the individual patient, it’s designed for the masses,

Any recommended exercises that help strengthen the abdominal wall and prevent a hernia? Also, how do I avoid the excercise making it worst (if possible)? Should I do it only when I don’t have “current” symptoms or it shouldn’t matter?

quote Good intentions:

I also see that you have not seen a hernia expert. That should be your next step. Not a hernia repair method expert, but a hernia expert. You will find many surgeons who have expertise in the latest repair method but not in diagnosing hernias.

[USER=”2976″]wth[/USER]

Any recommended hernia experts in LA and the area?

Thanks again, [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER]

• Good intentions

September 1, 2019 at 2:24 am
    quote wth:

So far I’ve seen a family doctor, general surgeon, urologist and gastroenterologist.

I also see that you have not seen a hernia expert. That should be your next step. Not a hernia repair method expert, but a hernia expert. You will find many surgeons who have expertise in the latest repair method but not in diagnosing hernias.

[USER=”2976″]wth[/USER]

• Good intentions

September 1, 2019 at 2:19 am
    quote wth:

Hello,

Background: I’m in my early 30’s.
    Had a laparoscopic appendix removal more than a decade ago. No complications post surgery.

Starting on July 10 I’ve started to experience lower abdominal dull pain (1.5 inch below the belly line to the right or left), tenderness, also feeling of bloatedness and like something is protruding under the skin (no visible bump) from either the right or the left side (on the left side it also seems to also radiate to the groin or left testicle area) that seems to get activated when I do certain physical movements, like like playing table tennis/billiard, sitting on the couch with my back aligned with the back of the couch, bending over, lifting some bag of groceries, moving my stomach to a certain range that would activate it.

So far I’ve seen a family doctor, general surgeon, urologist and gastroenterologist. ….all came back negative and no evidence for hernia (also doctors did a physical examination for a hernia).

Gastroenterologist mentioned it could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome made worst by stress, but I don’t really feel more stressed than usual, also there are no other typical symptoms to IBS such as diarrhea, nausea or anything else. Or he said it could be a stomach muscle strains, but I doubt it can that be felt like it’s from the inside of the stomach and radiates to the groin area.

I got a CT of the abdominal and pelvis with and without contrast, and it didn’t show anything abnormal, no signs for hernia.

It’s been already 6 weeks, and the “pain” is coming on and off. There are some days when I feel better, like I feel normal again, but then after prolonged sitting, or perhaps doing something what I described above, the pain gets activiated, so it then for example would start on the left lower stomach and would radiate down the groin to the testicle area, then after a day, it would shift to the right right side of the lower stomach an below the belly line to the right –

I tried to break your story down to the basic elements. It was a bit convoluted.

I think that as a hernia develops the tissue and nerves in the vicinity get stretched and damaged, causing discomfort and pain. There is a certain threshold I’m sure where a surgeon’s fingers can feel a hernia or where it shows clearly on imaging. But before then it’s just overly stretched nerves and tissue, that look and feel normal.

So, a guess would be that you are in the early stages of hernia development. You might consider doing exercises that help strengthen the abdominal wall, in the hope of preventing a full hernia from developing. The results might also be a clue as to what is happening, If things get better or worse, it might be telling.

Be careful though, in seeking a solution. If you look far and long enough you will find a surgeon who proposes “exploratory” surgery to see if you have a hernia. The end result could easily end up as a mesh “repair” and you’ll be in a whole different world if you have mesh problems.

So, good luck, don’t be hasty, and don’t trust “big medicine”. It’s not designed for the individual patient, it’s designed for the masses,

• wth

September 1, 2019 at 12:25 am

Hi Guys,

I played some table tennis yesterday… And the pain got activated again on the left side… And I would feel this pain when I moved and played in the left lower groin area. To the point when I just felt wrong to continue playing because of the pain, so I stopped playing. Now that the pain is in activated mode, I felt it yesterday and today in the left groin radiating to the left testicle, but then today, it switched to the right side… not the groin, but just lower stomach, with this feeling of tenderness in the right side, like I feel something from the inside, but not much pain, more of a discomfort, especially if I get into bending positions or do bad moves…

Please help me… What does this sound like? One guy who played there said that it’s very much likely sound like a hernia, and he said he had something similar in his 30s, and he would go to the doctor, and they couldn’t diagnose what was wrong with him… He said that rest could help the situation better by abstaining from physical activities that can trigger the pain like that. Is that true? Because I think I tried it for 2 weeks, and I don’t recall it going away…
    I already have this discomfort for 7-8 weeks, and I know this is not just in my head… Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

• wth

August 29, 2019 at 5:46 am

does anyone can help please? I’m still in pain
    where are all the forum hernia experts

• wth

August 24, 2019 at 5:43 am

Please help