News Feed Discussions What determines an incarcerated hernia or a strangulated hernia? My story.

• What determines an incarcerated hernia or a strangulated hernia? My story.

Posted by Dill on August 10, 2019 at 4:05 pm

Dill here. Like all other patients, I will be glad to not keeping checking in on this board. It’s been so helpful though in searching for a surgeon who will do no mesh. Having finally found one near me, I was scheduled for surgery next week, but had to delay because of beginning a new job. (Until 3rd week of September). I’ve had the hernia for a least 10 years, watching and waiting and in the last year it has started to grow so you can see it when it isn’t reduced, about the size of a lemon maybe? It’s also after being asymptomatic for many years started to case me occasional sharp pain–usually I have been able to lie down get it reduced and breath through it (about a five minute process). This has started to happen a couple times a month. Time for the surgery I don’t want. Last night the pain started and I couldn’t get it reduced–it was hard, but I could pass gas and it didn’t turn colors–still the pain was severe, I was sweating and dizzy and it was intense for at least half an hour until I could get it reduced. During that half hour, I seriously thought I was going to have to go to the ER. This has never happened before–there were many of the symptoms of a strangulated hernia, however although the area is tender today, the hernia is back inside. Has this happened to others? Was that considered incarcerated? Now I’m wondering if I can, indeed, wait for a month to have the surgery.

Momof4 replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Momof4

August 12, 2019 at 2:12 pm

The colored bars under someone’s name mean that they are a member that has a lot of posts, as I understand it. Maybe you are newer to the forum. Also, from another woman, I have found compression shorts/underwear to be helpful with bulging and pain. There are lots of compression undergarments to choose from and may take a few tries to find the one that works for you. They can be hot if you live where it is hot and humid but they do help with the discomfort. Hope this helps!

• kaspa

August 10, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Don’t worry about weekend. Perhaps you could try a men’s truss? A strangulated hernia MUST not be reduced for your curiosity.

• Dill

August 10, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Thank you. Yes. Want to avoid emergency room at all costs (and there is a lot of cost). I will call surgeon on Monday–things like this always happen on weekends–to get his advice. I also just looked for a truss for women and I don’t think many are available. I thought incarcerated meant you could reduce it after awhile and strangulated meant it couldn’t ever be reduced? Can strangulated hernias be reduced? Not that I’m expecting you know all, but someone might. Also, I’ve been meaning to ask someone: why on this forum do some people have colored bands under their names, and some people don’t? What does that signify?

• kaspa

August 10, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Incarcerated means non-reducible. Not the case. Anyway your hernia seems to progress quite fast and getting harder to reduce. I think you should have surgery ASAP as your risk of strangulation is much higher now. Maybe you should put a truss after it’s reduced and painless until surgery. It’s my opinion. If you can call your doctor, do it. If you can anticipate surgery, perhaps that would be best. Anyway if you go to EM and must have surgery, that will be worse for you and will interfere with your new job anyway. This is my opinion.