News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion What happened during my surgery ?

• What happened during my surgery ?

Posted by Dav on February 21, 2024 at 5:48 am

Hello,

I underwent a non-mesh surgery two weeks ago and have received the surgical report, where I observed two noteworthy events:

1. The report mentions that the operative site had a bleeding tendency, and a haemostatic agent (fibrillar) was inserted. I presume this may be the cause of the bump on top of the scar. Will it naturally resolve with time, and is bleeding a common occurrence in such surgeries?

2. Additionally, the report indicates the resection of a lipoma.

3. Lastly, there’s mention of “funiculolysis.” Despite researching its definition, I couldn’t determine why it was necessary in my case, given that my testicle was in the correct position. Is this a common procedure during hernia surgery? What might be the rationale behind it? I’ve been experiencing a persistent pain/pinching at the base near the penis and the testicle sack, extending to the testicle itself. This pain is more intense and enduring than the discomfort in the upper region where the surgery was performed.

Could you provide details on what “funiculolysis” entails? Was there any closure or tightening of the exit of the inguinal canal?

Moreover, I’ve noticed a reduction in semen quantity. This has raised concerns about potential issues with the spermatic cord and/or the operated testicle. Could you shed some light on this matter?

drtowfigh replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

March 4, 2024 at 12:57 am

– everyone gets the initial swelling at the groin incision. It’s called a healing ridge. It eventually flattens out.

– not sure what exactly they mean by funicolysis. It may mean they narrowed the internal ring. Most of us prefer not to do that. It causes pain and tearing. Funicolysis may also mean the cremaster muscle was circumferential cut. That’s seen more with open tissue repairs such as Shouldice.

• Côme

February 28, 2024 at 8:36 am

There could be many temporary or permanent reasons that you feel like having less quantity of semen. But your question is undoubtedly legitimate, as it seems to happen sometimes. A very recent study gives some indications such as spermatic cord damage, scar tissue obstruction, pressure due to something inserted, vans deferens damage, etc., as possible problems following the surgery :

Male Fertility Following Inguinal Hernia Repair, 2023

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/1142127

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Côme.
  • Good intentions

February 22, 2024 at 1:09 pm

That’s a weird one. Two weeks and you’re measuring semen quantity? Seems early to worry…