News Feed Discussions when do people feel completely healed after hernia surgery?

• when do people feel completely healed after hernia surgery?

Posted by Dill on October 19, 2019 at 2:25 am

Hi. I had inguinal hernia surgery no mesh/open repair a little over two months ago. Everything seemed to go well. I only had one night of pain after the numbing agent worn off and was back at work (not physical labor) a week later. I did have extreme sleepiness for over six weeks which I attribute to healing process since I had it checked out and nothing else wrong and maybe to a low level of pain (not debilitating by any means and often not noticeable). Lately I have felt an itching not on the skin but under and a little burning/stinging sensation (but nothing is red). Again I think this might be the healing process. I’m back to the gym and getting back some of my physical strength but I definitely know I had surgery on that side. Is this going to go away, do you think? When do people get to the point that they don’t notice anything?

dog replied 4 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • dog

December 16, 2019 at 8:21 am

I would tell straight forward depends who you do this surgery with ….it could be never but i could be like this One Week from Hernia Surgery to Swimming in Hawaii! https://www.meshmedicaldevicenewsdes…ing-in-hawaii/

• inguinalpete

December 16, 2019 at 2:06 am

An open, repair using stitching for a pubalgia ‘sports hernia’ took about 5 months for total healing. That repair tore out 13 months later resulting in an incisional hernia which was addressed using a self-fixating mesh. I’ve had mesh problems ever since.

• Dill

December 10, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Hi, Gab–I had my operation at St. Joseph Hospital in Bloomington Illinois. Doctor Weiland is a general surgeon who was willing to do the surgery without mesh, which was great because my insurance paid ($250 in network co-pay) and so far, so good. I’ve got a big scar but no pain after 3 month–if I didn’t have the scar I wouldn’t know I had surgery. Which I had put off for 10 years.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    November 9, 2019 at 12:49 am

Hi Dill please tell me where you did your operation,thanks.

• Ezzy

October 21, 2019 at 12:50 am
    quote pinto:

Ezzy, how soon post-op did you start lifting? Free weights or gym machines? Did/do you avoid squats or crunches?

Around 3 months is when I started back on gym machines. Around 6 months I was back to free weights. Around 9 months I’m back to lifting 90% of my top weights before the hernia. I’m no power lifter, but I move fairly heavy weights (relative to my age/weight), that seemed unimaginable 3 or 4 months ago.

• DrBrown

October 20, 2019 at 7:20 pm

[USER=”2758″]Dill[/USER]

Everyone heals at different rates.
    As long as you feel like you are making progress, then be patient.
    Tissue healing is usually complete at three to six months.
    Work with your surgeon and your physical therapist.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• pinto

October 20, 2019 at 4:18 am

Ezzy, how soon post-op did you start lifting? Free weights or gym machines? Did/do you avoid squats or crunches?

• Ezzy

October 19, 2019 at 10:53 pm

I had a Desarda repair about 10 months ago. I have finally reached the point where I have absolutely no abnormal sensations in the repaired area. It feels 100% normal (and I lift weights and am pretty active). I definitely had tightness and occasional strange nerve pains for at least 6-7 months though.