News Feed Discussions Where are the surgeons proclaiming that chronic pain is in the past?

• Where are the surgeons proclaiming that chronic pain is in the past?

Posted by Good intentions on June 13, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Here is something that is significant just by the fact that it does not exist. There are no surgeons presenting data to show that, overall, the chronic pain situation is improving. That, maybe, the pain in the past was from incorrect usage of mesh, pieces that were too small, or the Kugel product, or the plug and patch.

It’s just silence, apparently pretending that the problem never really existed. The same wide range of products are being sold, and the various ways to implant mesh are being presented, but the 15% chronic pain rate is now assumed to be normal.

It could remind you of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here in the United States, 900-1,000 deaths per day is “normal”. It’s terrible but it’s becoming part of the background

Something that anyone considering mesh implantation should consider. Get the actual numbers, don’t trust the comforting words. Just because it’s normal does not mean that it’s best, or right for you.

• This discussion was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  Good intentions.
    Alexander replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alexander

June 14, 2020 at 7:25 am

I’m sorry you had to go through that awful experience. Your insights on this board are so valuable for people like myself, who are going thru this for the first time.

• Good intentions

June 13, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Dr. Brown, the Shouldice Hospital, or Dr. Kang. I was very close to taking one of those paths but a friend, who is also a surgeon, recommended the chair of surgery at his practice. He really believed in the materials and method. He had had his own hernia repaired via an open mesh implantation years earlier at a different clinic. He thought that things would be better via the laparoscopic method, I don’t think that he was happy with his repair. After my experience he left the practice and has erased any sign of it from his resume. I was surprised, he was proud of his progress there.

His expertise is in an area that does not use special medical devices, so I think that he was able to maintain his original reason for becoming a doctor. The business pressure was not as great as it is in the mesh-based hernia repair field. As you can see from older Topics on the site, non-mesh methods are not even taught anymore. If you become a surgeon today you will have to implant mesh to repair a hernia, or learn suture methods on your own.

• Alexander

June 13, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Good Intentions – if you could have done it all over again what is the path you would have taken?