News Feed Discussions Will CT scan show mesh and suture integrity?

• Will CT scan show mesh and suture integrity?

Posted by Casey F on March 19, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Can a CT scan show if sutures and mesh are still in place 7 weeks post op bilateral inguinal?

drtowfigh replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • drtowfigh

March 27, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Sensitivity means it is more likely to correctly identify a hernia if it is is there. Can’t say it’s a clearer picture. There is more soft tissue detail.

• pinto

March 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Dr. Towfigh,

Thank you. When you say, “sensitivity,” would this practically mean “clarity,” in that MRI might produce clearer visuals than the CT? (I personally for a non-hernia issue, “proved” to my doctor that MRI was just as good as CT by happening to have an MRI done by a brand new machine. He remarked how clear the picture was when we both looked at it. He had pushed for a CT scan but I was reluctant. Since then I wondered if in fact MRI generally produces clearer visuals than CT.)

• drtowfigh

March 24, 2019 at 5:06 pm

This has been discussed multiple times throughout the Forum. Sensitivity of MRI is higher. But CT can be adequate for most hernias.

• pinto

March 24, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Dr. Towfigh, if given that a CT machine and an MRI machine are both have the latest technology, which machine would give the clearest pictures of the IH?

• Casey F

March 21, 2019 at 4:53 pm

First followup with surgeon (7 weeks post op), last week’s visit and exam was with PA. Surgeon said an exam has the possibility of disrupting scar tissue around the mesh and causing pain. Surgeon examined both inguinal hernia areas with me coughing and said repair is intact. He suggested icing. He also said he sees abdomal bloating in other patients post op. He did not know why my thigh is numb over my left knee, he said that was very unusual. Thank you to Good Intentions and Dr Towfigh for your responses to my questions.

• Casey F

March 20, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Dr Towfigh,
    Thank you for your response. I had a good heal for 6 weeks then because I had belly button incisional pain, abdomen bloat and numbness above my left knee I went to the PA week 6. The PA had me lay on the table preformed an exam of my abdomen and then had me lift my head and bear down a bit so he could check the belly bottom area. I left feeling fine then about 2 hours post exam I experienced burning and pain. I did not take any pain meds after surgery but after the exam last week I used pain meds for 4 days. It has abated and now I can walk my 2-3 miles a day but still feel intermittent pain in my lower abdomen/groin where the hernias were. I am hoping some tissues were inflamed during the exam and they will settle down but the pain I am experiencing where the hernias were located I had not felt since pre-surgery. Once again I appreciate your help with this as I am feeling unsure what to do.

• drtowfigh

March 20, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Mri is best option. Again, sutures and nerves will not show. The mesh and any suggestion of recurrence will show.

• Casey F

March 20, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Dear Dr towfigh,
    thank you for the reply. I am 7 weeks post bilateral ingulina l robotic surgery with Paritene mesh and I wold like to know if any imaging can show if the repairs are intact or have been compromised.
    Thank you for your help!

• drtowfigh

March 20, 2019 at 3:23 am

CT may show the mesh. Sometimes it’s hard to see it if it’s lightweight mesh. No imaging will show sutures.

• Good intentions

March 19, 2019 at 9:15 pm

I’ve been blocked.

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]

• Good intentions

March 19, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Hello Casey. Dr. Towfigh would probably know the answer to that.

I’m posting here to notify her, but also to see if I can post anything on the site. Good luck.

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]