News Feed Discussions Worried Mom

• Worried Mom

Posted by MamaJmn on September 22, 2019 at 2:54 pm

My 12-year old son has recently been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. He has not had imaging or surgical consult as of yet but his father has had 2 hernia surgeries and one fix of some kind that might have been related.

Earlier this year, my son suffered an orbital fracture after taking a baseball pitch to the eye. About a month later he had a headache, breathing trouble and stomach cramping after his first baseball practice back and we of course took him to the ER given the recent injury. They suspected appendicitis and tried to use only ultrasound but ended up doing a CT (at a children’s hospital, so adjusted for his size). That was after the CT to diagnose his eye fracture a few weeks before. The second visit turned out to be some stool back up and enlarged lymph nodes from a virus, which also caused the fever which he described as a headache. He had a reaction to the contrast dye – mild, but still there.

I am wondering if the hernia was mildly present during this second visit causing some of the pain but it’s more likely that he aggravated it lifting things for a soda sale he was doing over the summer. He’s also an avid athlete and very active.

I have a surgical consult for Oct. 3 recommended by his doctor’s office (primary office is great – tries holistic when able, but not to a fault if medical intervention is needed). I also have a friend in neonatology at the University of MN who is getting an appointment with someone she recommends.

Everyone – including his dad, who has had hernias – is kind of acting like this is no big deal. And while I know it could be much worse, he has had a hard year and my heart is breaking that we’ve just got beyond one horrible injury and now are going to another which requires surgery. And I’m feeling very overwhelmed by all this information about mesh or no mesh. You would think it would be easy to find someone in MN who would do no mesh, given the state’s reputation for amazing medical institutions. But it seems like that just doesn’t exist! I don’t love the thought of traveling for this should we need follow up, etc.

I am concerned about short term complications but more so long term complications, given his young age – I have read (though I’m trying not to go too far down the rabbit hole) about mesh leading to auto immune issues and even increased chance for cancer. I know that many things contribute to those conditions and it’s not black and white. I know, many people do this and it’s common…etc. etc…but when it’s your kid you just want them to have the best shot at a happy, healthy life. Within reason, I actively try to feed him good food and eliminate toxins from our home, I’m careful about our bedding and cleaning supplies and cookware, etc. Again, when I can…I’m not over the top crunchy, but I’m mindful about his environment. Now I’m supposed to say, OK, sew something foreign and plastic into him? I know there are more options, but this seems like the most common.

I also feel like it IS appropriate for him to see a pediatric surgeon, which makes a general hernia expert in no mesh maybe not the perfect fit, even if I could find a way to travel. He’s growing, he’s going into puberty and those things make him different than an adult. Overwhelmed.

I could really use:
    -Positive thoughts and support
    -Advice on questions to ask the doctors
    -Success stories from other parents
    -Resources in MN
    -Can we do this without another CT since he so recently had two and a reaction? He has already been manually diagnosed.
    -What about biological mesh? Thoughts?
    -What about hernia briefs in the meantime?

Thank you in advance if you have read this far! I’m crying as I write this – maybe I just needed to get it all out in a place where people are actively thinking about this.

MamaJmn replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • MamaJmn

September 23, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Thank you everyone for all of this! You are helping me more than you know!

• DrBrown

September 23, 2019 at 10:44 am

[USER=”3002″]MamaJmn[/USER]
    Hernia repairs are tolerated very well in children.
    Mesh is not used in children.
    Regards
    Bill Brown MD

• Forest

September 23, 2019 at 2:55 am

To give some encouragement or optimism, I have a friend who had inguinal hernia repair as a teen, before laparoscopic was an option, and it came out fine. He is now a pretty serious weightlifter and athlete. He went through Marine Corps basic no problem. The only time it ever bothers him is when he is lifting extremely heavy weights or far extending abs during full range of motion GHD situps…which he says it will feel sore for a while and he lays off.

• drtowfigh

September 22, 2019 at 4:59 pm

We don’t repair 12-year old hernias with mesh. Their biology of hernia development is different than in adults. Your pediatric surgeon will be the right one to follow.

• Good intentions

September 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] second try

• Good intentions

September 22, 2019 at 4:21 pm

As I understand things mesh would not be an option for a 12 yr old. But it would not be a surprise to see the device makers trying to get more market share. Don’t let anyone use mesh, he’s too young.

@drbrown

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]