News Feed Discussions 1 year after mesh repair

• 1 year after mesh repair

Posted by Mbs on January 17, 2018 at 12:29 am

One year after mesh repair I’m experiencing pain on my right side lower abdomen and into the scrotum. The pain is dull and lasts most of the day. It feels better in the morning. I had an appointment with my surgeon who examined me and told me I do not have another hernia. Should I seek a second opinion and/or ask for an ultrasound or MRI?

Good intentions replied 6 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Good intentions

February 23, 2018 at 8:02 pm
    quote Mbs:

I’m wondering if I will just have to live with this? Or if there are any potential solutions.

I’ve seen people get good advice on the forum if they give enough information. But, sometimes, the same doctor might not be back for weeks. And by then your post might be buried and they might not even see it. For example, Dr. Towfigh might be the next to get on the site and read the posts. But she’ll only have the same small amount of information that you gave in the first post. Then, if you do decide to supply the information, she might not be back for another week or two.

They’re doing this for free, in their spare time. You’ll get back to about the level that you put in.

Good luck.

• Chaunce1234

February 22, 2018 at 2:33 am

Did you always have pain after the repair, or is the pain new? Did you have pain before the hernia was repaired? Were you checked for recurrence with an ultrasound or scan, or just by hand? Does pain respond to anything, or does anything in particular make it worse?

Dr Grishkan in Ohio has apparently performed 10,000+ hernia repairs, and could be a helpful resource in your region

Dr Paul Szotek is in Indiana but may also be a helpful resource, he is a colleague of Dr Towfigh

Best of luck and keep us updated on your case

• Mbs

February 22, 2018 at 1:28 am

I’m wondering if I will just have to live with this? Or if there are any potential solutions.

• Mbs

January 20, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Thank you for the reply doctor Proctor. I have the operative report. Would you be interested in the contents? Can you recommend a doctor in Central, Ohio?

• LeviProcter

January 20, 2018 at 12:24 am

You should seek a second opinion before going down the imaging pathway.
    Obtain your operative report and bring with you to the second opinion.

• Good intentions

January 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
    quote Mbs:

One year after mesh repair I’m experiencing pain on my right side lower abdomen and into the scrotum.

Can you provide more details on the procedure, and what you’ve been doing since then? More clues will help. Open or laparosocpic, TEP or TAPP? Type of mesh. Both sides or one. Location of hernia – inguinal, etc. Direct or indirect. Does the pain go away? What initiates it?

“Mesh repair” doesn’t tell enough. Good luck.

• WorriedWife1

January 17, 2018 at 12:53 am

Just from what I’ve read, could be genitofemoral or Ilioinguinal neuralgia. Worth looking into.