News Feed Discussions 2 weeks post Open Inguinal Hernia repair surgery – sore/very sensitive scrotum

• 2 weeks post Open Inguinal Hernia repair surgery – sore/very sensitive scrotum

Posted by Ross on January 23, 2022 at 2:41 am

Hi All,

I had open left inguinal hernia repair with mesh 2 weeks ago. In the last week I have started to get a very sore/burning sensation around the area of my scrotum on the left, extending to the inner thigh. Some swelling/puffiness. No sign of infection. The visible bruising subsided last week so no discolouration. Just this feeling of swelling, sore, uncomfortable left scrotum and base of penis particularly later in the day/evening. It subsides quite a bit over night into the morning, then during the course of the day it gets worse again and almost feels like a burn by late evening. I was wondering if this is fluid build up around the surgery site that is being pulled down into my groin/scrotum area by gravity during the day causing the irritation, and then dissipating when laying down over night. This is also roughly what I have read when trying to look it up online. I’ve read the body hopefully reabsorbs this fluid, which is part of the healing process. But it can take weeks, months or years.

Has anyone else had this similar sore/burning feeling around the scrotum and inner thigh? and I would be interested to know if it goes away and how long it took for you if it did?

Thanks

Ross replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Good intentions

January 23, 2022 at 9:01 am

Two weeks is still early. Are you active or working, or just waiting to feel better before doing things?

Do you know what type of mesh and procedure was used? There is a large variety out there. Lichtenstein, two-layer “systems”, Onflex, plug and patch, and variations of these.

• William Bryant

January 23, 2022 at 4:41 am

That should read “I would not want to suggest anything to make it worse”

• William Bryant

January 23, 2022 at 4:40 am

Not had any surgery, yet, myself bjt reading about it, it can take quite a time for the area around the op to calm down. As was explained to me, on this forum, there’s a lot of nerves in a smallish area and they may be irritated hence itching and burning sensation in scrotum as on same nerve pathway. 2 weeks isn’t very long for it to settle after surgery.

Try googling general measures after hernia op to find relief measures you can do, if I remember righly applying ice pack, reclining/lying, massage may help. But google first as I would want to suggest anything that may make it worse.

Also, just dint think 2 weeks is long enough to not have after effect/niggles.

• Ross

February 4, 2022 at 3:48 am

I had Open repair of inguinal hernia. I had two hernia on same side, a direct and an indirect hernia. They used a polypropylene (Prolene) mesh.

The burning has calmed down quite a bit. Still have a few areas in the groin that are numb and some that are painful to touch, but not burning, so it feels like improvement to me. I realise the heeling takes time with all of the nerves in the area, I guess I found the burning a bit alarming when it started

• Ross

February 4, 2022 at 3:46 am

The burning has calmed down quite a bit. Still have a few areas in the groin that are numb and some that are painful to touch, but not burning, so it feels like improvement to me. I realise the heeling takes time with all of the nerves in the area, I guess I found the burning a bit alarming when it started