News Feed Discussions 2010 as significant year for mesh problems – commercial on Discovery Channel

• 2010 as significant year for mesh problems – commercial on Discovery Channel

Posted by Good intentions on May 18, 2019 at 6:36 pm

I just saw a commercial on the discovery Channel that was fascinating in that they did not specify a brand of mesh, or type, or company, or type of problem. Just any mesh repair problem after 2010. It seems like it must mean something. Of course it might be that it’s just easier to make a case if the problems are recent.

One thing that has grown rapidly in recent years is laparoscopy. It would be more of a shame if that was one of the reasons for increased mesh problems. Hard to comprehend, but it could be true. The correlation seems strong.

Also fascinating that it was on one of the very popular mainstream channels. It must be an expensive commercial. They must expect results.

I’ve already been through my ordeal, at least the worst part I hope, so, for me, this is more about “how did I go so wrong” in December 2014. How did I make such a bad decision. But these things are indicators. Anyone planning hernia repair should be aware of them.

Good intentions replied 4 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Good intentions

May 21, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I just heard another commercial, on one of the more obscure networks, setting the year at 2005. Any complications requiring more surgery, after 2005. Not sure what it all means, but the parameters are getting broader and vaguer. Almost like somebody has noticed signs of a larger problem.

We can only hope that the results of these litigations will benefit everyone. The law firms don’t get involved where there is no case.

• localCivilian

May 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm

[USER=”2042″]Jnomesh[/USER] I can see why it would change the way your abdomen feels. Recovering from that sure does suck. For sure isn’t no “walk in the park” as they say it is, at least for me.

• Jnomesh

May 19, 2019 at 4:48 pm

One thing they also mention as a positive for lapro surgery in addition to “faster” recovery is that for inguinal hernias the mesh covers all 3 possible defects in one shot : indirect hernia, direct hernia and femoral hernia.
    But I agree placing the mesh (which often is a bigger piece when doing lapro surgery compared to open is that it is placed closer to the intestines. I believe the only thing separating the two is the Peritonium and maybe the omentum.
    As someone who had lapro mesh implanted and eventually removed the same way I can say the procedure itself I believe caused my stomach/abdomen to never be the same besides the mesh implantation. I feel like the stomach being inflated during this type of surgery permanently changed my anatomy.
    I had mesh openly placed years before on my opposite side so I do feel like I am someone who can comment on both type of surgeries .
    However for some people they seem to do very well with lapro surgery.

• localCivilian

May 18, 2019 at 9:20 pm

[USER=”2862″]kaspa[/USER] I agree with you on the interest of laparoscopic surgery for such minor surgeries. I had an umbilical hernia repaired laparoscopically. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would’ve searched for a surgeon who would’ve done open surgery. With mesh or not wouldn’t have mattered to me since I had an umbilical hernia, although I do wish I could’ve found someone who wouldn’t of have put the mesh inside my abdominal cavity and would have done TEP at least if it was going to be done laparoscopically.

Going back to your comment, since laparoscopic is praised as the “shorter recovery” method (as it is but for major surgeries), I really do think I would have recovered much faster with an open repair, especially since my hernia wasn’t big at all. A small incision above my naval probably wouldn’t of have done much harm to me as far as the recovery…

• kaspa

May 18, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Is it possible to add a link for that commercial?

Laparoscopy is a mesh-only option. IMO I don’t understand the interest for laparoscopy in minor surgery that can be done with a small incision under local anesthesia. It’s complicating something that is supposed to be easy and on top of that it must use a mesh and general anesthesia…