News Feed Discussions A good mesh?

• A good mesh?

Posted by Alephy on May 28, 2020 at 1:57 am

I ask this question as I have seen popping up in the forum: do you guys think there might be a mesh that is in fact good or on par with a tissue only repair from the long terms problems point of view?

Alephy replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alephy

May 28, 2020 at 11:29 am

I guess my writing was misleading…I also doubt that there is hidden in the pile a not too bad mesh. I am just wondering what benefit the mesh registry might bring, other than shedding light on the implant pandemic problem (which seems to have surfaced anyway)…
    of course I would be delighted if there was in fact a magic mesh that would fix the problem without any side effects, which is I think also the problem i.e. people wrongly expect/hope to get jumping few days after this type of surgery…

ps: As for the survey mentioned in the this forum on the top board, I find weird that some questions refer to whether the patient would like or not ALL the information: I may be naive but I would expect ALL the information to have to be provided under law, and failure to do so should prompt legal action in my opinion

• Good intentions

May 28, 2020 at 9:53 am

The fact that over all of these years of reports of chronic pain and discomfort, and all of the lawsuits, and the incredible growth in the number of law firms entering the mesh litigation field in even just the last four years, that not a single mesh maker or surgeon has made the effort to show that they have a better product or method, implies very strongly that all of the mesh products are bad. They all have significant problems.

The essence of the “free market” is that the good products make the bad products obsolete. There are scores of variations of mesh products and none of them have risen above the others, by even a small margin. Even the newest ones like the Onstep method and material had flaws almost immediately.

Sorry to keep intruding on your Topics alephy. The only mesh material that I thought might be “better” than others in terms of chronic pain was the Progrip material, based on anecdotal internet information (because that’s all of the information that a patient has). But, as you’ve seen over just the past year many people are reporting chronic pain with ProGrip also, to the point that they are having it removed.

On top of that there is the growth of the “pain management” industry to send the chronic pain patients too. And the mesh removal industry, supported by the advancement of robotic surgery.

I still search for success stories from the world of professional sports. I see surgeons saying that they use mesh in athletes but there are no good stories. Only the bad ones, like Dai Greene’s. The only success stories from the world of sports are about non-mesh repairs.

I apologize again alephy, but there really does not seem to be a mesh product that will give a better chance of successfully avoiding chronic pain. It’s like cancer and cigarettes. Some people make it through without cancer, but quite a few die a horrible death as the result of cigarettes. I think that the business model is very similar also.