News Feed Discussions Any regrets, insights or advice on mesh removal surgery?

• Any regrets, insights or advice on mesh removal surgery?

Posted by G on September 26, 2023 at 3:43 pm

Several posters have experienced mesh removal surgery. Some appear to be doing relatively well while others have had reoccurrences and adverse results. One former poster who experienced a reoccurrence after mesh removal was last self reported to be seeking a tissue repair surgeon that would accept their insurance. As mesh surgery seems to be somewhat difficult to undo, what advice do mesh removal patients have regarding their experience? What has been learned? I believe as our combined knowledge and experience grow, we can better be supportive and of help to each other.

G replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • G

September 27, 2023 at 7:49 pm

Good Intentions, thanks for you comments and the links to your previous postings/sources. The mesh removal industry has become more mainstream and less of an anomaly now. There would seem to be both an altruistic and a financial incentive in further improving outcomes. With input from, and studies of mesh removal patients available more progress can be made.

• Good intentions

September 27, 2023 at 4:51 pm

I posted on a similar topic a while ago. Linked below.

My main advice would be to educate yourself about what is involved in removal, know what was done during the implantation (neurectomy, lipoma dissection, etc.), and choose a surgeon who will leave you with good odds of a successful recovery.

Secondly, don’t expect to be immediately “well”. The original implantation caused damage, the foreign body reaction causes damage, and the removal causes damage. On top of the original hernia damage. It will take a long time to heal.

I think that I’ve only seen one person on the forum that had a bad mesh removal. They have posted several times, recommending that people avoid any type of surgery. Very “anti-removal”. That person obviously regretted the decision to have their mesh removed. Can’t remember the name or the posts.

Then there is Peter C. He had mesh removed but, from what I gather from his posts, it was removed as a secondary part of surgery for a different problem. It wasn’t clear why the mesh was implanted in the first place.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/mesh-removal-satisfaction-survey/

Mesh removal satisfaction survey