News Feed Discussions Autoimmune symptoms

• Autoimmune symptoms

Posted by ajm222 on February 25, 2019 at 12:25 pm

What are the sorts of autoimmune symptoms people commonly experience to mesh, and how often do they typically begin after surgery?

bmul100 replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • bmul100

February 25, 2019 at 4:33 pm
    quote drtowfigh:

There is very little in the literature about this to date. We have published two papers so far. Dr Tervaert has just published as well.

It is a rare problem and every patient must be worked up for another diagnosis first. Symptoms typically begin weeks weeks to months after surgery. They include a syndrome of chronic fatigue, joint pain, extremity swelling, headaches, hair loss, rashes, difficulty sleeping, bloating, and so on.

This is what I have been experiencing for months. Almost to a T. I never had any of these symptoms beforehand (except for hair loss but that is hereditary) I know how I used to feel before and it is so different. The thing I will add is I feel like my immune system is in overdrive. I get the chills frequently and my body temperature never stays constant anymore. It can swing 2-3 degrees in a short period of time.

• ajm222

February 25, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Thank you, doctor. I have some issues and was wondering if they were related to the mesh, but I think it’s likely unrelated. Didn’t start until close to a year after surgery. And it seems it’s more of a traditional cold of some kind. That time of year. But with the very mild pain I still have related to the surgery and the tightness/fullness I feel a bit on my right side along with some back pain I was wondering if there might be something else going on that I should look into. Energy levels seem fine and I don’t really have many of those other symptoms. But I also know that you suggested elsewhere that they can come on slowly. Probably not something I should worry about unless things get significantly worse, given how rare it is. I don’t have a history of autoimmune issues either, except lifelong eczema of varying degrees.

• drtowfigh

February 25, 2019 at 2:42 pm

There is very little in the literature about this to date. We have published two papers so far. Dr Tervaert has just published as well.

It is a rare problem and every patient must be worked up for another diagnosis first. Symptoms typically begin weeks weeks to months after surgery. They include a syndrome of chronic fatigue, joint pain, extremity swelling, headaches, hair loss, rashes, difficulty sleeping, bloating, and so on.