News Feed Discussions Bard 3D Max vs ProGrip Polyester and Polypropylene?

• Bard 3D Max vs ProGrip Polyester and Polypropylene?

Posted by SN on June 22, 2023 at 2:59 pm

After doing much research, I have found that most surgeons in my area use mostly use Bard 3D Max or ProGrip when it comes to a laparoscopic approach.

What are the pros and cons of each? And is the polypropylene version of ProGrip more preferred than its polyester version?

SN replied 10 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • SN

July 7, 2023 at 1:55 am

Looking at Medtronic’s webpage on the advantages of ProGrip, are they substantiated? It seems no fixation required as compared to Bard 3D Max, and almost half is reabsorbed along with the microgrips. But does the microgrips cause more inflammation? I suppose this is the acommodation that is required. Thus, would ProGrip be technically more preferable overall? Thoughts?

• Good intentions

June 22, 2023 at 4:13 pm

Polypropylene Progrip is not indicated for laparoscopic repair by Medtronic. So you can only really compare Bard 3D Max with polyester Progrip.

Unfortunately, you can find supposed “studies” around the medical research world that will support either over the other.

Also, many of the studies are not actually comparisons of the materials but studies of fixation versus no fixation. Even though BD’s own literature says that fixation in not necessary for 3D MAx.

Sorry. There is no simple answer.

https://www.bd.com/en-us/products-and-solutions/products/product-families/3dmax-mesh#overview

• sensei_305

June 23, 2023 at 6:56 am

I am with Chuck on this one, when I go back for revision surgery Dr.Billings advised that if a repair is needed he will do it via open surgery instead of Lap as well. He said a tissue repair/Sutures is better done via open incision instead of lap.