News Feed Discussions Bio mesh reloaded

• Bio mesh reloaded

Posted by Alephy on June 1, 2020 at 11:42 am

Papers seem to show bio meshes are better than synthetic ones but somehow it was mentioned here in the forum that they don’t work: what is the truth?

Alephy replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Alephy

June 14, 2020 at 1:07 am

Well I just looked at some papers around that were comparing synthetic meshes vs the bio ones e.g.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4569804/pdf/fsurg-02-00048.pdf (this one suggests they should be used in a contaminated field)

or

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1553350617697849

Other than objecting that they are too expensive, or that they are on par with the other meshes, one discussion point is whether they induce less chronic pain (I guess this is the key point in fact, at least for me).
    I never saw a paper showing an overall (much?) higher recurrence rate, could you send me some links? I am still considering this as an option so I would be interested to read them…

Thanks again!

• drtowfigh

June 13, 2020 at 12:21 pm

Not sure where you read “Papers seem to show bio meshes are better than synthetic ones.” I do not agree with that statement and I know of no guideline that supports that statement, either.

There are risks and benefits to every mesh choice. Most absorbable mesh are biologic, though there are also synthetic options. Since they absorb, the risk of hernia recurrence is overall quite high. In that respect, it is definitely not a better choice and in almost every situation, it is not first choice therapy for any elective hernia. Some are more processed than others and act like any other synthetic in that they cause a lot of inflammation and scarring. That may be good or bad, depending on the reason for choosing the mesh.

• ajm222

June 5, 2020 at 10:22 am

i think you need to be approved as a member first before being able to see the posts. they’re private groups. you can join and then search for ‘biologic mesh’. the groups i know of are:

Hernia Mesh Complications Support Group
    Mesh Removal Patients. (Hernia and Pelvic)

• Alephy

June 4, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Can someone send me some links of the fb pages to the patients organic bio mesh complications?

• Alephy

June 1, 2020 at 9:46 pm

From the chronic pain point of view, the formed tissue around the mesh can also cause problems even when the mesh is gone? I just wonder whether your own tissue could also entangle the nerves and cause pain…🤔

• Alephy

June 1, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Yes sorry you are right. I guess at one point I was putting in that category all the meshes that would disappear after a while. But I guess the bio naming applies only to the non synthetic ones…so do meshes made from animal tissue “work”? By this I mean in terms of recurrence and infection prevention only….

• Good intentions

June 1, 2020 at 6:03 pm

Hi alephy, I’ve mentioned this before, but what does “biomesh” mean? What are you referring to when you write that?

It means many different things to different doctors, let alone patients. It almost doesn’t really mean anything, unless you add details. No offense intended, I know that you’re struggling with finding a solution.

• ajm222

June 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm

That’s what I thought, too. And I might be wrong. Just seemed to be the trend I was noticing on FB.

• Alephy

June 1, 2020 at 2:55 pm

This is interesting as I understood bio meshes were originally targeted as a better option in case occurring of an infection was a possible complication…for the recurrence rate all the studies I saw seemed to imply the rate is low…there was a German study though where the benefits of bio meshes were dismissed as minimal or inexistant

• ajm222

June 1, 2020 at 11:58 am

don’t have anything super helpful to add, but i keep seeing so many people on these hernia complications facebook pages who have had infections and other issues saying they had biomesh. it’s like they’re all getting infected and having problems. probably just a poor sample as most who would get biomesh in the first place are likely those who are prone to complications and infections in the first place and/or have already had multiple surgeries. and I don’t know all the specifics behind each one. but i think infection and re-herniation are common issues with biomesh. happy to be corrected on that.