News Feed Discussions Biohernia – Hernia surgery without mesh

• Biohernia – Hernia surgery without mesh

Posted by Good intentions on March 1, 2020 at 9:23 am

I just came across the Biohernia web site. It is surprisingly free of detail, compared to most hernia repair practice web sites.

Not sure what to think about it. I think that I saw a post about it where someone described it more like an “agent” connecting patients to clinics that perform certain procedures. Maybe they get a cut of the fees.

The link shows up as Home for some reason. One of those forum bugs. But it is biohernia.com

https://biohernia.com/

Good intentions replied 4 years ago 6 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Good intentions

March 9, 2020 at 10:41 am

Thanks for posting John C., here and in your other Topic.

I don’t think there is any serious speculation here. The point was that the Biohernia web site is uninformative. The question was – “What is this Biohernia place?”. The internet is used by many people for research. As you did.

I hope that you can see the irony of the fact that if you had not, very luckily, happened upon the BBC report, on the internet, not by phone, that you might actually be on this forum talking about your laparoscopic mesh repair instead of your experience with Dr. Wiese. In sum, we have two accounts from Biohernia: yours and Baris’s. One good, so far, and one not so good. They are both helpful.

You got lucky and found something on the internet that informed you. You should be thankful. Good luck.

• John C

March 8, 2020 at 11:20 pm

As a satisfied customer of BioHernia and Dr Wiese I would just like to add that there are a lot of misleading statements and ill informed conjecture in the above thread.

Yes BioHernia is just an agent. They work I believe with 3 surgeons, Koch, Wiese and Muschaweck. Each of these operates in their own practice in a different location.

If you go to BioHernia you will have control over who you see, and what treatment you have, they just assist in setting it all up. Presumably they get a commission.

No doubt you can also go direct to your chosen Dr to arrange things if you want to.

Rather than posting ill informed speculation here I suggest, and indeed recommend, that anyone who is interested picks up the phone and talks to Naholm at BioHernia. I fould him very helpful and informative.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  John C.
  • Alephy

March 4, 2020 at 10:05 pm

One thing that I think is misleading with biohernia is that depending on the surgeon you might get a different surgical option. Also the famous athletes are treated by one doctor only I think ie Dr. Muschaweck..

• Good intentions

March 4, 2020 at 10:27 am

Thanks for replying baris, here and in the other Topic. I had a feeling that I had seen more about Biohernia in the past but couldn’t remember the details.

• Alephy

March 3, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Yes when I contacted Dr.Muschaweck her secretary was very helpful and precise in answering. I am still considering going with her…

• Baris

March 3, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Hi all,
    Ive used bio hernia to have my first surgery with Dr Koch in germany. The owner of bio hernia is a guy called Naomi who himself had surgery with dr koch and is from Netherlands. There is a lot of dutch patients going to germany for treatment. Lets say a huge market for bio hernia and Dr koch ;). In regards to Dr Muschaweck she has her own secretary and you can access her email directly in regards to contacting her ( lovely and very very honest lady who i can defiently say is not motivated just with money). Id be honest they were very helpful in sorting out the surgery and accommodation so on however after having my issues with re-surgery and the fact i was guaranteed 3 years for primary repair they still haven’t replied to my 3 emails. So yh there good when things are going good. The other thing id like to highlight is the fact that they supposedly do most techniques. I firstly ever contacted them in regards to desarda however when i got there i was told by dr koch that he will do a shouldice with absorbable sutures and that he wont perform desarda and never does as he believes its for skinny people. So yh they definently aim to firstly lure you in.
    As a company its definently naomi just as an agent and the doctors dont really associate with eachother. I remember when i was in so much pain in germany dr koch said that when i get back to london he would speak with his ‘close friend’ dr muschaweck to inject me with a local anasthesia until i got comfortable.
    Exactly 18 months later i had a consultation with dr muschaweck. I asked her about her ‘close friend’. She said shes only spoke to him once at the annual conference briefly. 😂
    How great?

Baris

• kaspa

March 3, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Problem with BioHernia is that their surgeons do many types of hernia repairs, mesh and non-mesh, laparoscopic and so on, and I’m not sure you can grant you’ll have the repair you want. According to some reports here, sometimes they do a tailored repair, which may mean you’ll come from the operating table with a surprise (see Baris here in forum).

The best known surgeon is Dr. Muschaweck and she’s perhaps the best choice. But she charges 6.000-7.000€, a sum that allows you to choose a center anywhere in the world, trip included.

This is just an opinion based on reports here and elsewhere so you should check directly with Biohernia before making a decision.

• Good intentions

March 2, 2020 at 1:00 pm

I finally found Dr. Muschaweck’s name on the site.

https://biohernia.com/en-gb/how-biohernia-works/

• Good intentions

March 2, 2020 at 12:56 pm

I’m not arguing for or against Biohernia. I just can’t tell who they are. The page that you linked is only accessible if you click on the United Kingdom link. And they give a nice description of how they select “their surgeons” but they don’t tell who any of them are.

It’s all just very mysterious. We need more transparency, not more promotion of “the way we do it”. The mesh promoters do the exact same thing, and have similar criteria. Experience, number of procedures performed, etc. No data about success rate though, short or long-term. They mention it but don’t give the numbers.

https://biohernia.com/en-gb/comparison-of-hernia-surgeons/

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Btw the time it took these players to get back to full activities was 3 months…

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 12:47 pm

https://biohernia.com/en-gb/inguinal-hernia-elite-athletes/

These footballers were treated for an hernia probably by Dr. Muschaweck

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 10:28 am

Yes biohernia works with surgeons among which Dr Muschaweck but only as an agent organising the staying medical appointment etc….I think they also provide an insurance somehow from what I read here…the surgeons are well known here and respected (at least for the most part )

• Good intentions

March 2, 2020 at 10:20 am

My point is more about using the name when it’s not the actual surgeon who developed it. Like the “corrupted” Bassini procedure that Dr. Kang talks about as a reason for high recurrence rates. People said they were using the Bassini method but were cutting corners, apparently. It wasn’t really a Bassini method.

Facebook tells more. Dr. Koch is the guy behind Biohernia, maybe. his name comes up. Twitter and youtube also. The main web page is not very useful at all. It as I though, more of an agent, referring out to other facilities. They call it an “intermediary”.

https://www.facebook.com/biohernia

https://www.youtube.com/c/biohernia

https://twitter.com/biohernia

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 10:17 am

Btw I tried to contact them beginning of January but they never replied back…might try to call them directly

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 10:14 am

Well I would understand that they tailor surgery to the patient which is why they can use one out of several options including mesh, although with preference without…the muschaweck procedure is tailored at sports hernias or small traditional ones if I am not mistaken…I think this center focus on mesh being the exception rather than the rule all else equal.. plus they add muschaweck on top of the available skillset

• Good intentions

March 2, 2020 at 10:03 am

Here is another site with a connection to Dr. Muschaweck. Kind of confusing, which is which.

https://www.hernia-centre.com/

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 1:25 am

Btw various procedures are mentioned because the biohernia doctors use them all…not just the mushaweck one which is used mostly in the Munich area I think

• Alephy

March 2, 2020 at 1:22 am

Well Messi suffered from a hernia but it could have been a sports one…couldn’t find any info on a surgery he might have done. And I think had he done it we would have read about it 🤔

• Good intentions

March 1, 2020 at 9:00 pm

I hope that it is Dr. Muschaweck trying to train people in her methods. They really should have more information on their web site. Why are they blending Desarda in with Muschaweck and Shouldice? Doesn’t make sense.

On the other hand, the soccer player in that picture is Lionel Messi, maybe the best soccer player in the world. I doubt that they could use his image without his approval. He must, I assume, have had some work done by Dr. Muschaweck or a colleague.

Without the information though, the Biohernia page is just another hernia repair practice ad. All a potential patient can do is trust the words Desarda, Shouldice, or Muschaweck. It’s really a poor web page.

• Jnomesh

March 1, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Believe dr. Koch and Mushenik are associated with this site and they will source you out to one of them depending on where you live etc May be other surgeons involved too