News Feed Discussions Cancelled surgery. No mesh next week

Tagged: 

• Cancelled surgery. No mesh next week

Posted by Colrie87 on May 22, 2019 at 8:34 pm

DIDNT HAVE SURGERY. THANK YOU ALL!!!! I’m so sorry y’all are in so much pain or having issues. U guys have definitely saved me. My Dr was so nice and understanding and even went out of his way to talk to older drs, and one happened to have experience fixing hernias without mesh and through open surgery. I see him Tuesday and will have surgery Thursday as long as he still feels he can treat me with no mesh. I kept praying and praying. And with how nice my surgeon was, I kept feeling like maybe I could trust him and be fine especially since he had the same surgery in 2016 and 2017 and told me that he would have flown somewhere to have the other tissue operations done had he thought those were better. But he said he understood how I felt and he definitely didn’t want to see me unhappy and even if it went well he felt like I would always be anxious about it and that’s exactly how I felt my husband felt about it because I do have a tendency to freak out or have anxiety and with something foreign in my body I know that I would always think of it as a time bomb. Also I’m the small percent who have bad pain after gallbladder removal and even breastfeeding I was hospitalized three separate times with mastitis for ten days each once with MRSA mastitis, so I know I have bad luck. Anyway point is I definitely feel like God had everything lined up for me to go to this other surgeon because before going and talking to them, my surgeon said he didn’t know anyone who did tissue repair or no mesh.
    I am on pain meds so sorry if I babbled on.im just so thankful that there is a Dr in my area who has preformed no mesh hernia repair and is Willing to do it on me. He will be doing old school procedure. Figure worjust end up with a reoccurrence and my current surgeon had said that with mesh if you get an infection in the mesh tends to hold it in whereas if I get an infection with a open incision and no mesh they can just give me antibiotics

Colrie87 replied 4 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Colrie87

June 1, 2019 at 11:40 am

Made a new post but figure I’ll give update here too

i had a indirect hernia I think he said so that means he did a bassini repair. I am in alot of pain rn, but I definitely over did it yesterday and did not take pain meds in middle of the night. Tmi but I had first bowel movement and that was what I was really scared of but since I took a laxative two days before surgery and started stool softeners day before, it was easy and not painful. I called him last night with a me questions and he stepped outside of a party he was at just to talk to me. Very nice Dr. It’s obviously still to early to tell but I feel like he did a good job and new what he was doing

• Colrie87

May 31, 2019 at 2:24 am

Kaspa his name is Patrick Slattery and he works in Spencer Iowa. He normally uses mesh however he was trained originally to do non mesh surgeries because back then they didn’t cover mesh. I’m his first non mesh surgery in a while

• Colrie87

May 31, 2019 at 2:23 am

He Generally does mesh repairs however he was originally trained not using mesh. His name is Patrick Slattery and he works in Spencer Iowa. I am going in tomorrow and will keep y’all posted

• kaspa

May 30, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Happy to know about that and hope it will all run finely.

Perhaps you might tell us who’s the surgeon as there are so few doing only no-mesh repairs.

• dog

May 30, 2019 at 3:45 am

It is wonderful news ,Very happy for you!

• dog

May 30, 2019 at 3:44 am

Sooo happy for you!!!!!!

• localCivilian

May 29, 2019 at 9:15 pm

[USER=”2882″]Colrie87[/USER] I’m glad you’re going with your heart and that you found a good surgeon. I wish you the very best on your recovery!

• Colrie87

May 29, 2019 at 7:43 pm

So I saw surgeon yesterday and I am so happy with my choice. he said depending on if it’s an indirect or direct hernia he will either do the mc vey or bassini method. he said one of us would be like the shouldice method but you can’t actually do the shouldice method with a female because we do not have a sperm cord. He was very knowledgeable and performed alot of hernia repairs without mesh back in the day because insurance didn’t used to cover mesh. He explained exactly how he would go about the procedure and was confident. I will be having it done Friday

• Good intentions

May 25, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Not everybody has the resources to travel the country or the world to find the very best option. Let’s hope that [USER=”2882″]Colrie87[/USER] does well with the best she can do in her situation. Good luck Colrie87.

• dog

May 25, 2019 at 7:30 pm

patient Thank you So much.. it is exactly what i meant . With big family we need to go back in two weeks max…if something would go wrong i cant even imagine ….

• dog

May 25, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Dear Kaspa…i waited to long and got direct hernia on top of indirect i had before ..so my outcome could be even better and recovery faster if i would fly to Dr.Brown earlier and get it done. Waiting isn’t the best option in my opinion

• kaspa

May 25, 2019 at 6:19 pm

I also postponed my surgery after joining the forum. I’m learning to live with my hernia, but perhaps some day I’ll need an operation.

Now they’re talking about surgeons who do preventive triple neurectomies included in hernia repair! This is scaring. Are patients always informed at least?

• patient

May 25, 2019 at 4:29 pm
    quote dog:

….average good doctor who does both mesh /no mesh surgery will have recurrence between 10 to 20 %
    ….BEST doctors from that category { who do both} from 5 to 7 %
    ….And just a really few and who do only No mesh surgery can get between 1 to 3 %

Agree with your statement!

[USER=”2882″]Colrie87[/USER] I understand the economical situation of each person, but if you don’t do the correct choice you will be spending more money and not just money, your health will be affected and so on, it also can bring more problems into your life and family.

My best wishes for your and I hope your operation goes well!

• dog

May 24, 2019 at 7:55 am

Hello dear! just kindly letting you know when i interviewed doctors and did my research ..i did it for whole year ..This forum knows that.. I learned that average good doctor who does both mesh /no mesh surgery will have recurrence between 10 to 20 % ….BEST doctors from that category { who do both} from 5 to 7 %
    .And just a really few and who do only No mesh surgery can get between 1 to 3 % …Believe me you wont to do it one time and forget about that ..knowing that any revisions will increase risk of failure .I picked dr Brown. it was just my experience …I am glad i did ….But good luck for you!

• Colrie87

May 24, 2019 at 2:27 am

Local civilian: it is a small hernia I believe

Dog: like I said I don’t have the money to travel and we have seven kids.
    Good intentions: I will make sure they put me to sleep but put in writing no mesh

• localCivilian

May 23, 2019 at 5:16 am

Is your hernia large?

• dog

May 23, 2019 at 4:58 am
    quote Colrie87:

Especially since I live in Iowa. It’s hard to find ppl who don’t use mesh. Even this older Dr has switched to using mesh but said he would talk to me and consider old way on me if that’s what I want

It is worth to travel !

• Good intentions

May 23, 2019 at 1:58 am

Good luck Colrie87.

These really are strange times. Don’t be surprised if he tries to talk you in to mesh.

Since you’ll be having open surgery you’ll probably be awake while he’s doing the work. Be prepared to resist if you really do not want it. Know what you want before things get started.

• Colrie87

May 23, 2019 at 12:26 am

Especially since I live in Iowa. It’s hard to find ppl who don’t use mesh. Even this older Dr has switched to using mesh but said he would talk to me and consider old way on me if that’s what I want

• Colrie87

May 23, 2019 at 12:25 am

I don’t have the means to go wherever and I’m good with having it repaired the old way by someone who has done them before

Page 1 of 2