News Feed Discussions Chronic Pain Following Inguinal Hernioplasty by Michael S. Kavic, MD

• Chronic Pain Following Inguinal Hernioplasty by Michael S. Kavic, MD

Posted by Good intentions on September 1, 2023 at 10:04 am

I stumbled across this interesting editorial from 2016 recently. I might have seen it in a different form and already posted it, it seems familiar. It reads like Dr. Bendavid’s opinions but it is written by an expert in laparoscopy.

Which is especially interesting because unlike Dr. Bendavid whose area of expertise, Shouldice pure tissue repairs, competes with laparoscopy and avoids mesh implants, Dr. Kavic’s area needs mesh to grow in the area of hernia repair. Laparoscopic hernia repair requires mesh. Also important that Dr. Kavic has practiced his profession through the introduction and growth period of mesh repairs, to where it stands today with all of its problems. He has seen it happen and knows the past and the present.

Whenever I look at the dates on these types of articles I see how unlucky I was to have a hernia, late 2014, just at the beginning of the wave of recognition of the continuation of mesh problems. If I had seen Dr. Bendavid’s work, or editorials like this I’m not sure I would have chosen the path that I did. Oh well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5000866/

JSLS. 2016 Jul-Sep; 20(3): e2016.00081.
    doi: 10.4293/JSLS.2016.00081
    PMCID: PMC5000866
    PMID: 27570442
    Chronic Pain Following Inguinal Hernioplasty
    Michael S. Kavic, MD

“…
    Some responsibility also should be taken by device manufacturers that have widely promoted surgical mesh and have derived great economic gain from the extensive use of mesh for hernia repair. The involvement and degree of accountability of industry should be considered at the highest levels of those involved with surgical education along with input from surgical ethicists and practicing surgeons. Industry must be involved in the solution, as they are part of the problem.
    …”

Good intentions replied 8 months, 1 week ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.