News Feed Discussions Conze or Wiese -william Bryant

• Conze or Wiese -william Bryant

Posted by Unknown Member on May 9, 2023 at 7:23 am

folks…zombied myself over the weekend reading everything I could about the German surgeons. It seems as if Conze and Wiese come out as to two top guys. There were some negative comments on here and elsewhere about Dr Koch…and Dr. Lorenze I just couldnt get that much information about, Please someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems that both conze and Wiese can tailor a repair in the widest variety of circumstances…This is my only major issue with Kang who I have the utmost admiration for…I still think he is the nicest doc in the field…but I have to wonder whether the Kang repair is the best in all circumstances. Watchful has looked at these issues harder than anyone…and if its his view that you need the max flexibility here I think we can take that to the bank. Does anyone know what kind of diagnositic capabilities either of these doctors have? One thing that impresses me about Kang outside of his sincerity is his superior facilities for diagnosis…not sure if the German surgeons can match this. I think if the toss-up is between Conze and Wiese..and Conze is 3X more expensive…I think there must be a reason he can charge so much…that leads me to believe he is the best…maybe in the world…so he would be my choice…would love to hear what others think. Especially William Bryant…who has studied this as closely as anyone and has skin in the game….FWIW…talked to three guys over the weekend…all open mesh…some didnt even know that mesh had been placed….all were fine in ONE week…i know have 27 guys…open mesh lichtenstien…that had quick recoveries and NO issues at all…it makes me wonder guys….Did we overthink this??? Maybe lichtenstien is the best approach afterall…the mesh reduces the amount of cutting that an open tissue repair requires, So maybe its the best modality…i know Yunis says its the most problematic…but i am not sure he has any credibility…its the one surgery he doesnt do of course…

Watchful replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Watchful

May 9, 2023 at 4:44 pm

Conze started focusing solely on hernias about a decade ago, but he had been doing hernias among other surgeries long before that since the beginning of his career. His training was with Schumpelick who was a godfather of hernia in Germany.

• Unknown Member

May 9, 2023 at 3:15 pm

Conze appears to only have focused on hernias for the last 10 years…whereas weiss has been doing hernia repairs for 20. Maybe that shifts the balance back to weiss? It really was an impossible decision—I never thought i would have to fly to Germany for a routine surgery. I just don’t get how mesh can be the standard with all the issues that it has.

• Unknown Member

May 9, 2023 at 3:06 pm

Yea william —super tough call. Again my main advice would be to get the damn thing done soon. I tragically kept avoiding the surgery—everyone i know that gets a good result goes right after the hernia appears…go in get a piece of plastic shoved in open and go on with life like nothing happened. I think its easy to overthink this…and pretty soon—it seems like there is no way to get a good result. If i had just gone in and had open mesh placed i likely would have been fine….but i got conned into the gold standard —i just never thought doctors could be such liars.

• William Bryant

May 9, 2023 at 11:40 am

Ref charges, it may also have something to
    do with Dr Conze being a colleague, at least at one time, of Dr Muschawek. And I believe that is a prestigious clinic, surgeon and surgery.

• William Bryant

May 9, 2023 at 11:30 am

Freeman said Dr Weiss told him at the start of his repair, don’t worry I’ll take as long as it needs. Or words to that effect.

• Watchful

May 9, 2023 at 11:26 am

They are both very good, and both would be good choices, but I would prefer Conze. Wiese is higher volume, but Conze is very experienced as well. Since Conze is more expensive and lower volume, he can be more careful and spend more time on each case.

• William Bryant

May 9, 2023 at 11:09 am

Hello Chuck, sorry to say I don’t have any great knowledge like the other posters do.

I take on board all your comments above, Chuck.

It is such a hard choice.

I’d definitely be interested in other posters views on the Germans and Dr Kang.

• Unknown Member

May 9, 2023 at 9:26 am

Oceanic -some of these guys are going on 20 years but i hear you —-took special interest in your post about Dr. Conze…can you elaborate on why you think he is the best even if the most expensive??? thanks for your feedback

• Oceanic

May 9, 2023 at 9:05 am

The 27 guys who’ve had mesh implants haven’t had any issues YET would be my comment, the fact that mesh can bite you in the ass years later is my biggest concern and why I’d rather have tissue repair.