News Feed Discussions Core + Mesh

• Core + Mesh

Posted by alliecook on June 10, 2019 at 7:08 pm

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] is this true? With having mesh (inguinal hernia), are you supposed to not do a lot of core exercises? I saw a sports chiropractor and they mentioned since I have mesh, I shouldn’t be doing a lot of core work.

Jim82 replied 4 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Jim82

June 19, 2019 at 10:33 am

I have seen nothing that says you cant do crunches other than 1. Its easy to do crunches wrong and 2. My own experience pre-surgery was that crunches aggravated the hernia site so I wanted to try core strengthening that didn’t involve crunches. The PT also reinforced this approach by saying that crunches aren’t necessarily the best core strengthening exercises.

• Dave Graham

June 18, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Jim-Thanks for sharing this. So crunches are not allowed? I wonder if easy, “bent-knee” crunches would be acceptable. How else can you strengthen your abs?

• Jim82

June 16, 2019 at 1:33 pm

I started two months after the surgery. 5 pages of instructions and you would probably want to see a PT in person to make sure they are right for your condition. For the first 30 days he had me more of a stretching series of exercises then he progressed to more strenuous exercises. All were floor exercises and required no weights or special equipment other than an exercise ball.

• scaredtodeath

June 15, 2019 at 4:32 am

JIM how long after your mesh surgery did u start these excercises and you can give an example of what they were

• Jim82

June 13, 2019 at 12:14 am

Highly recommend core exercises. Had TEP/Mesh surgery in Apr 2018 and went to a physical therapist for two sessions a few months after surgery with the specific purpose of getting instruction on core exercises that did not involve crunches. Been doing the exercises two to three times per week ever since. In addition to core strengthening they appear to keep things from tightening up.

• drtowfigh

June 12, 2019 at 3:59 am

Exact opposite. Core exercises are great and not only contraindicated but encouraged.

• Good intentions

June 10, 2019 at 10:35 pm

That would be a fascinating position from a sports-based physician. It’s been stated that professional athletes get mesh for hernia repair and they would probably be more core-strength focused than anyone, besides maybe a construction worker. Seems contradictory, how would they train?

Chiropracty though, no offense intended, is thought of by many, for whatever reasons, as “fringe” medicine. You should get more specific information if you can. Offhand comments should be backed up by research. He or she should have some data behind their statement. It might be firsthand experience with athletes, who knows.

Good luck.