News Feed Discussions Direct inguinal hernia and back pain

• Direct inguinal hernia and back pain

Posted by Alephy on January 11, 2020 at 7:08 am

Can an inguinal hernia also cause lower back pain? I have pain on my left lower side and a right inguinal hernia…does this sound familiar?

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 4:04 am

Hernias can cause lower back pain on the same side.

Hernia repair should not cause any back pain. If you have isolated back pain after hernia repair, either the hernia has recurred or you have a different reason for the pain.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  drtowfigh.
  • Alephy

February 1, 2020 at 11:35 pm

I saw an interesting documentary about the human fascia…it is all connected and often its disruption is the cause for lower back pain! Apparently the healing of the fascia is faster with movement ie the fascia is deeply linked to the body moving…and every movement is transmitted through the fascia to the whole body… I now believe that the fascia with an hernia can heal albeit it’s maybe uncommon

• Alephy

January 20, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Same here even before the surgery….I am wondering if it’s a nerve connection somehow….although at rest I am fine..

• SFIrishGuy

January 20, 2020 at 2:57 pm

I had my left inguinal hernia repair 5 months ago and I have been suffering from lower back pain often now.

• drtowfigh

January 17, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Yes
    We have multiple posts that can be searched about these.

• Alephy

January 16, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Nobody?

• Alephy

February 2, 2020 at 11:13 am

@PeterC Indeed! I guess something positive out of the hernia nightmare might come after all in the form of a better understanding of my body (instead of a major physical set back and depression)…

When I think about my past injuries at the knees I see some similarities with the hernia injury: back then I could hardly walk and the knee pain was very dominant in all I did; and of course the usual response from doctors was SURGERY! It took me more than a year to get back to where I was and 3 years afterwards my mobility was far superior.

I guess it is never black and white and more often than not we should never underestimate what the body (meaning we ourselves) can do. And if I may say so, in the process of healing we learn tremendously, not so much when we “delegate” the “recovery” to a surgeon ..

ps: of course sometimes the body cannot do it alone, what I am saying is that “A occurs 90% of the times” does NOT mean that A is true…modern medicine ought to be very curious about the remaining 10% IMHO

• PeterC

February 2, 2020 at 7:32 am

Alephy – you are right. The whole body is connected and weakness in the abdominal wall will cause a tight quadratus lumborum as well as a tight psoas as they brace to protect the spine.

I highly suggest to anyone reading this to look up the MoveU program – and to enroll. Its a program that takes people with various injuries/conditions and helps them restore all the muscle functions and connexions. The creators are two therapists/chiropractors & one of them had an inguinal hernia as well as diastasis recti and he healed from both without surgery.

The program is hard & obviously a million factors come into play – such as what other injuries you have since the whole body is connected. But I can tell you that I currently have a tear on both sides, a mesh on one side & a nerve out (so weakness on that side of my abdominal) & have zero back pain.

Prior to doing the program I had crazy SI JOINT pain & low back pain before & after surgery. Its once I realized my first surgery didn’t do anything to help me or any pain (front or back) that I looked into it and understood what even led to my injuries in the first place.

I highly recommend it.