News Feed Discussions Exercising

• Exercising

Posted by DeeJay on January 2, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I am a 68 year old female in good health, no perscription meds. except an estrogen patch. Initially I and my DO believed I had a pulled right groin muscle: however, after several months of NO exercising at all, and no relief, we agreed that my problem might be an inguinal hernia.

I have contacted Dr. Towfigh’s office and was given the names of two doctors in Boston. My question is about resuming exercising until I am able to see one of the doctors. I swim, take spin classes, and am hoping to resume my yoga practice as well. All in moderation.

Will any of these worsen a hernia?

Thank you.

pszotek replied 7 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • drtowfigh

May 14, 2016 at 6:36 am

Exercising

UnderArmour crisscross compression shorts work well.

All core strengthening exercises are safe and effective.

• pszotek

May 12, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Exercising

I do not have specific experience with the brand but many of my patients buy the spanx type undergarments on Amazon and are pleased.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=compression+undergarments

Some medical grade companies that I do not have a lot of experience with from a patient feedback standpoint but are out there are:
    Marena Group 770-822-6311
    Underworks, Inc
    Jobst/BSN Medical
    Nouvelle Products

to name a few that I have heard of. Really anything that provides support will be helpful.

Hope that helps
    Paul Szotek

• goldenmsc

May 12, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Exercising

Any specific exercises that we can do to help close the defect or hole a little bit i.e. strengthen muscles?

• goldenmsc

May 12, 2016 at 1:54 am

Exercising

Are any of the men’s Under Armour compression shorts ok to use?
    Quiet a few different ones.

• DrOrenstein

January 19, 2016 at 3:07 am

Exercising

I counsel my patients to resume they’re regular physical activity and exercise. The health benefits of exercise outweigh the potential for worsening a hernia. Listen to your body – if you’re doing a particular exercise and feel pain or other symptoms at the site of your hernia then perform it with a lighter weight, or eliminate that particular activity.

• drtowfigh

January 7, 2016 at 6:53 am

Exercising

It’s a great idea

• DeeJay

January 4, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Exercising

Thank you.

As a follow-up question, Are compression tights, leggings, shorts a good idea or a bad one, especially when exercising with a possible inguinal hernia?

• drtowfigh

January 4, 2016 at 2:51 am

Exercising

Exercise is protective of hernias, especially among women.
    Yoga is great. So is cycling.
    Stay away from squats, crossfit