News Feed Discussions Four Operations And They Still Can’t Keep The **** Hole Closed

• Four Operations And They Still Can’t Keep The **** Hole Closed

Posted by Jennifer on October 23, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I’ve had four operations now for the same hernia and it’s opened up YET AGAIN.

Backstory: over 15 years ago, I had a stomach stapling. It worked well, but it left a weak spot in my abdominal wall.

Op 1: I went to a clinic to get my hernia repaired, and after I woke up, they told me the didn’t touch the hernia! I asked why not, and all they could say was they were cutting “adhesions” (presumably from the stomach stapling). I tried to tell them I came to the hospital for the hernia, not for adhesions, but they just gave me the runaround.

Op 2: I went back to the same clinic. They explained they were going to install a mesh, but again, after I woke up, they told me they only sutured it. I waited the requested 6 months for it to heal, then I went back to doing my daily exercises. It tore open (I could feel it doing so).

Op 3: I went to a different clinic, where they promised to install a mesh, and surprisingly, they actually did so. Again I waited 6 months, but when I tried to exercise, it tore loose.

Op 4: They went back it, and this time they just sutured it again. Now it hurts when I move. But I don’t care about the pain; I just want the hole closed (if they can keep it closed, I know the pain will go away).

I live in Germany but am originally from the USA (and have a Medicare card).

What can I do to get quality medical care? It’s NOT like I’m trying to have this fixed in Nicaragua.

pinto replied 4 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • pinto

November 3, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Kudos to Good intentions for his very abled monitoring and to Dr. Brown for his kind and of course expert backup. I’m glad when someone’s case like Jennifer’s is not met by silence but with good, solid advice. And best wishes to Jennifer, who obviously shows much courage, for a complete recovery. You can find a lot of patients here who have gone through trying circumstances but eventually got well, really well. I hope that for you too. Keep us posted.

• DrBrown

November 1, 2019 at 10:13 pm

[USER=”3032″]Jennifer[/USER]
    I agree with [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] .
    You next operation will be difficult. Be sure that work with a surgeon with a vast experience in the treatment of complex hernias.
    Regards.
    ​​​​​​​Bill Brown MD

• Good intentions

November 1, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Hello Jennifer. You described a clinic, the same clinic, and a different clinic, and the title of your post says “they”. You also mention “the rules”. It looks like you are depending on “the system” to fix you, but the system is just a collection of surgeons who have learned the minimum necessary to pass their classes and their residency. Their skill level should range range from very poor to excellent. A normal statistical distribution.

I think that you should do some good solid research to find a specific surgeon who can help you and seek that surgeon’s help. The system has failed you, you need to get out and make your own path, I think.

Dr. Muschaweck, maybe, in Germany and Dr. Martindale in the states are good starting points. Focus on abdominal wall reconstruction. Find surgeons who specialize in that, not general surgeons who will “give it a try”.

https://www.aspetar.com/person-profile.aspx?id=125&lang=en

https://www.ohsu.edu/providers/robert-g-martindale/332DF38FFB324681949B3E75BD3B492B

• Jennifer

November 1, 2019 at 7:07 am

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] — I don’t want to be negative, but I am of normal weight, I don’t smoke, I get regular iron infusions, don’t have diabetes, and have regular checkups (including blood tests just two weeks ago).

On the other hand, I STOPPED exercising when this hole first opened up because I was just tearing the hole open more. I would like to start again, but don’t feel that’s prudent.

Six months (the recommended healing time) after the second operation, and again six months after the third, I went back to my regular exercise routine, expecting all was well. But in each case I felt it tearing open again. After that happened, my surgeon told me not to do any stretching exercises — a bit late to be saying that, isn’t it? (I even showed him my list of exercises before the third operation; he took a very brief look and said to go ahead.)

It’s a bit disappointing when you follow all the rules and still lose.

Jennifer

• DrBrown

October 31, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Dear Jennifer.
    Since you have had so many failures, the chance that the next operation will be successful are low.
    You should try to get your body in as best shape as possible. Get your weight down. Stop smoking. Be sure that you are not anemic. Be sure that diabetes is well controlled. Have you primary doctor check you for any medical problems. Exercise.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• inguinalpete

October 31, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Tough situation. Good luck.