News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Opportunity to help make hernia surgery outcomes better!

• Opportunity to help make hernia surgery outcomes better!

Posted by John on December 16, 2023 at 2:23 pm

After
    a horrific experience with my first hernia surgery, I searched for a
    way to help prevent this from happening to other people. So I found the
    ACHQC, a voluntary group of hernia surgeons who are sincerely trying
    to improve the outcomes for their patients. They have a Patient Advocacy
    & Engagement Committee, which is comprised of patients and hernia
    surgeons. We meet via a Zoom meeting every month or two, and the
    interactions are very productive. We need more patients to join our committee in order to share their stories and provide valuable input. Please join us!

• This discussion was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  John.
    Good intentions replied 4 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 17, 2023 at 3:02 pm

This is great. Thanks for volunteering. More and more surgeon groups are understanding the importance of patient representation in what they do.

• John

December 16, 2023 at 6:57 pm

Sorry about any confusion. The head of our Patient Advocacy Committee made that for me to post on social media. She put Aileen’s name there because she is on the Development Committee. We sometimes collaborate with other committees. We didn’t post it on the main ACHQC website because we are already getting some responses from people. One person on a hernia Facebook group suggested I posted it here as well. And by the way, I am who I say I am. If you go to the ACHQC YouTube you will find some videos they took when they interviewed me. And I hope that imposter will leave everyone alone; suffering from hernias and hernia surgeries is already enough trouble! Here is the pdf file which comes from the link on the ACHQC website link on the second line after the Patient Engagement & Advocacy Committee: titlehttps://achqc.org/faqs/committees We usually meet via a Zoom call every month or two, and our agenda items vary from discussing topics such as putting a ACHQC Verified Surgeon of Quality Program on the ACHQC website, preparing a video presentation on patient concerns for the annual summit in March, getting reports on ACHQC newsletters, etc. Patient volunteers share their stories, offer their opinions on the matters at hand, and share new ideas. Meetings last an hour, and usually start and stop on time. I hope this answers your excellent questions. Take care!

• Good intentions

December 16, 2023 at 4:13 pm

Is that an old image? It doesn’t seem to exist on the ACHQC web site today. And the Contact person today is Nicole, not Aileen.

Is it from one of the social media sites? If you go to the ACHQC main web site as it says to do there is no information anywhere about Seeking Volunteers for that Committee. The Committee seems to exist, but the call for volunteers does not.

I do see John Parker on the committee member list. But there is a person who frequents the forum with many different aliases, trying to create chaos. He has impersonated actual forum members in the past. No way to be sure if you are the real one. Good luck, if it really is you. Please supply a direct link to the ACHQC page that describes the mission and the modus operandi of the committee. How does the committee operate to attempt to achieve its mission? A typical meeting agenda would be helpful. What is expected of the patient volunteers?

“Patient Engagement & Advocacy Committee

Mission: Identify key areas to improve patient outcomes and increase patient education”

https://achqc.org/faqs/committees

• Good intentions

December 25, 2023 at 2:47 pm

Hello @JohnParker Thanks for the reply. If you want your replies to make sense in a chronological fashion, don’t use the big red Reply button on the side. It will place your post in some random spot in the thread. Use the small Reply button with the backward arrow in the last post. That will place your post at the end of the thread.

Are you able to access the database, as a member of the ACHQC? Do you have the ability to sort the data so that you can see if there is a prevalence of certain types of mesh or procedures or device-makers that seem to give better or worse results? Of course, a proper look would show the rate per device usage level, but the work has to start somewhere.

There has been much talk over the years about registries and some online comments about devices like the plug but nobody is creating something that a patient could use to increase their chance of a good outcome. Much talk and supposed concern but no usable results to help the individual patient. Which is kind of ironic because it makes the overall field of hernia repair look worse. The bad products and methods are staining everybody involved.

Good luck with your efforts.