News Feed Discussions Hernia bulge remains after surgery?

• Hernia bulge remains after surgery?

Posted by Milo on April 4, 2018 at 5:34 am

Hi, currently 6 hours post-op and I’m noticing that the small bulge where my hernia was at didn’t change at all. It looks exactly the same. I can even feel it bulge when I cough and it gets bigger the longer I’m standing, sameas before surgery.

The right side of my abdomen is swollen of course, and the area directly above the hernia looks significantly more sucked in, assumingly from the mesh. Did the mesh get placed wrong? Did my doc miss the hernia?

I currently have a call into my doc, but I was hoping for second opinions
    ​​​​​​

Chaunce1234 replied 6 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

April 7, 2018 at 9:41 pm

I would give it time for swelling to go down. Keep in mind for laparoscopic surgery they inflate your stomach like a big balloon, so that can cause all sorts of curious bloating and swelling too.

How do you feel otherwise now that you’re a few days out from your surgery?

• Milo

April 6, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Good intentions, you are probably right about waiting.I was told the same thing by a doctor’s assistant. It just looked so similiar the first night. I’m not that convinced yet, but I’m just focusing on healing for now. I will update when I can.

It was a lap indirect-inguinal mesh repair on the right side.

• Good intentions

April 5, 2018 at 5:42 pm
    quote Milo:

Hi, currently 6 hours post-op;

I think that 6 hours is way too early to be trying to asses much about the surgery. The tissues that were damaged during surgery all leak a small amount of fluid, which builds up and takes time to get reabsorbed by the body. I had a bowling ball of jello in my lower abdomen for about two days. I think it took about 5 days before it was close to normal, and a week before it felt tight/flat again.

I don’t know if a week is a long time, but I think that 6 hours is definitely a short time. Milo, you didn’t say what type of surgery you had. Mine was laparoscopic TEP.

• nesd

April 5, 2018 at 2:58 am

Hi,
    Your problem sounds similar to mine. I had bilateral direct inguinal hernia with pro grip mesh and my left side was flat and right side was swollen after surgery. It looked like he never fixed mine either. I saw the surgeon the following week and said its swollen from fluid. It stayed swollen for 2 months before it went down a fraction. I noticed too that when I urinated or coughed it bounces. I suspected failure right away but kept staying positive that its fixed. 3 months later I go for check up and found out both sides failed from ct scan. The right side is a bigger hernia than the left.

Now I’ve seen 4 doctors and 2 want to do open method with more mesh and 2 want to go in robotic and add more mesh. The one said mesh removal and redo the mesh or open method.