News Feed Discussions Hernia society conference shines light on safety of mesh issues

• Good intentions

May 12, 2019 at 12:27 am

“Dr. Bisgaard said ….. Even so, he still believes mesh is the best choice for hernia repair. “I do not think it’s a question of using mesh or not. I think it’s a question of furthering the evidence to show which meshes we should use and where should we place it.”

What he seems to miss is that, in the meantime, we, the patients, are essentially lab animals. Except that nobody is collecting the data from the lab animals. His words say, indirectly, that the product is unproven, as a whole. But he seems okay with continuing to do what he doesn’t fully understand. With the patients paying the price.

• idoncov

May 11, 2019 at 10:45 pm

From the conference article:

quote :

Dr. Bisgaard said ….. Even so, he still believes mesh is the best choice for hernia repair. “I do not think it’s a question of using mesh or not. I think it’s a question of furthering the evidence to show which meshes we should use and where should we place it.”

WRONG!!!!

Mesh has no future and as long as the medical community continues to think as above we are treading water. Nothing moves forward.

• idoncov

May 11, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Oh, I’ve registered. But it’s still kicking me out.

• Jnomesh

May 11, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Sorry I was hoping the full article would show-I did have to register to see the whole article. It took a few seconds and then I had access. Worth doing.

• idoncov

May 11, 2019 at 10:05 pm

What a shame we can’t read this.

• kaspa

May 11, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Good news at last.

Unfortunately I can’t read the article (not open access).

Maybe mesh repairs led to an age of darkness in hernia treatment.

I hope revisionism will go ahead and lead to the renaissance in hernia treatment.

I really think there’s an enormous lack of information on inguinal hernia physiology.